Sub box that is light?

Accurate_db

CarAudio.com Newbie
Back in the day there was super light mdf, but people blasted it with spl and was no good for subs. How about today? I heard in automotive unibody construction they use sandwiched foam for strength and rigidity while saving weight. Anyone sandwiched foam with fiberglass? Cause weight is important. Although heavier in car audio means more quality.

Big subs have heavy cones. Heavy cones plus high power requires solid anchoring and solid enclosures. Most people don't anchor their boxes to the vehicle, which is why general advice is to use heavy wood (mdf) to counteract the movement of heavy cones.

Maybe that's where the myth of "box rise" started.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

Similar threads

Hello all. Used to come on these forum quite a bit. I used to compete in IASCA MECA etc. and placed 1st 2x with this setup. Anyway this is my baby...
A pair of American Bass Hawk 15s will slamm home as well. Just put in a pair in a good friends 02 T.Car in 7.0@31htz on a Cresendo Skyway 3k...
People didn't like ported boxes because the port noise and needing a bigger box. Therefore, instead of 1-sub in a ported, they would go with...
A little DAP will do ya, drill, feed & seal, done.
If the amp is already part of the unit, with the amp built in, you would need a power supply, something like this: Or sell that amp amp and...

About this thread

Accurate_db

CarAudio.com Newbie
Accurate_db
Chicago
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from