Sub Box and Trunk Spacing

Aaron407
10+ year member

Canada
hey everybody

someone's gotta know this. I have a sealed, dual sub setup with them firing backwards. I plan on making a new box, and I was just wondering, how tight should the box fit in the trunk? I had heard that there should be a decent sized gap to stop spl buildup in the trunk and to allow the pressure to more freely enter the cabin area. With my setup, I'll only be hitting at most mid-130's, so there won't be any extreme pressure, but with about 3 to 4 inches on each side of my current box my trunk already rattles pretty badly. Any suggestions on how much of a gap should be left?

My problem doesn't really regard whether or not it's ported, it's still going to build pressure in the trunk. And spl gain isn't really my concern, at this time I'm really only concerned with fully channelling the existing spl from the trunk area into the cabin area (keeping it as equalized as possible). Does anyone know what size of gap would be needed for this channelling?

Maybe I'll try explaining this a little better. I'm going to be making a new box for my two subs. I won't have any significant gap between the top of the box and the bottom of my back dash. Should I have the box's width made so that it fits tight between the wheel wells, or should I leave a certain sized gap to allow sound pressure to flow around the sides of the box? Or will this gap really make any difference? Any recommendations?

Is there no way u can make the height of the box smaller so there is more of a game between the back dash the subs? Would have thaught thats where the most difference will be made.

If not ur right logicaly leaving a sizable gap at each side will allow room to releive air presure, if its in a realy small enclosed space it will build up much quicker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.