Stupid Question

rumblefish
10+ year member

alabama
My box is real bottom heavy and doesn't hit the upper notes with authority. It's 4 cubes tuned to 35. Right now I have 2 skar 12s (I know) in it. I'm probably gonna go with 2 gcons but in the mean time I was toying with the idea of putting some 2x4s in it to reduce the volume of the box. I believe this will increase the tuning, but I was wondering if this might help get some upper end back for rock which is what I listen to. Bad idea?

It might be the skars...honestly. I've had a couple of people with vvx's had it where the subs would only play loud on like tones and 1 note on music. If your box is truly tuned to 35, it shouldn't really be low note "heavy". I'm not saying not low capable, just not heavy on it and missing higher notes.

Thanks for the response. Do you have any recommendations for a pair that would work well in said enclosure? It was built by double07 so I think it's accurate .

Budget is not a huge concern. Like I mentioned I was looking at the gcon. I also thought about flatlynes and sa12s. A very helpful fellow on here also suggested the c2 threatcon.

Run test tones and figure out where your missing bass at. Upping tuning or shrinking the box won't do too much if it's above 60hz or so. Below that you can somewhat augment the bass, but really your just shifting a fairly large peak one way or another, it won't ever sound "right". From some tests I've seen, the GCONS may not do too much better, I know when Data-bass tested the Xcons, they were a typical boomer CA sub, 35-50hz with authority and not much else. Even with the supposed shorting rings inductance was ridiculous and effected the woofer alot. Check it out if your curious Data-Bass. Anyways, any chance you can fit a 15? If so I do have a used sub that will do what you want and then some.

If you need 12's look at the JBL GTi series, you can usually find them used for a STEAL as they are slept on by alot of car audio guys. They will get up to 80hz no problem and are still plently loud for daily lows. AA's subs have shorting rings too and those are definetly designed for beatin on, so a Chaos or Havok might be a good choice. Those I haven't heard, but I've seen plenty of reviews say they do just fine up high, well in fact. SA12's I do believe will do better than the SKARS will, how much better, IDK.

It's a Tahoe and its a toy vehicle so I can pretty much fit anything. If I need to do a new box to get what I'm after ill probably go with 15s. I know you mentioned the threatcon in the pm. You still think that would be a good choice?

Budget is not a huge concern. Like I mentioned I was looking at the gcon. I also thought about flatlynes and sa12s. A very helpful fellow on here also suggested the c2 threatcon.
as much as people wont like this probably i would look for some used decent price w7s especially if price isnt a big factor ive owned MANY brands and types of subs NEVER have i owned anything other than a w7s that will dig deep on EVERY type of music im sure you would be VERY happy i honestly miss mine quite a bit for that reason other subs just dont do EVERY type of music like they did.

I unbolted my box and faced the subs to the back. Much better. Looks like I need to do a box with subs and port facing rear to get the best sound.

What ohms are you running at? Is this a regular slot port or is this a custom port? How's the electrical? Just some questions to see if its something smaller than what we think already is before you spend a great deal of money on new subs, although I still agree with Buck I believe it is the skars.

It's a kerfed port. It was built by Brian at Starr Mountain. I'm pretty sure it's a solid box, it's just not loading well in my vehicle. Like I said, with the subs back and the port up it already sounds much better. I believe if the subs and port are on the same plain there will be even more linearity as well as output with both loading off the hatch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.