Strong midbass & a tweeter that doesn't hurt?

Forty-Ouncer
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Im looking for a comp set to replace my poor excuse for a front stage. Im running entry lvl polks right now that just sound terrible with rock music. LOUD HEAVY, POWERFUL ROCK is what I enjoy. In the past I've ran

MB Quart PCE216 - Midbass wonderful sound, tweeters shittiest screaching ever

MB Quart DCE216 - Wonderful sounding but just didnt get loud enough, tweeter was

ok tho unlike the PCE

Alpine SPR-176A(I think?) - tweeters didnt hurt, midbass pretty strong but sounded

kinda distorted

Infinity Reference Coaxals - Never could stop them from hurting my ears

Rockford fanatic Coaxals - Hurt more than Infinity

I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO FIND SOMETHING THAT PLAYS WELL WITH ROCK MUSIC!!! Everything sounded fine when playing dance or rap, but I dont listen to that crap!! What can you guys reccomend? I need something with great SQ but can get LOUD. I need STRONG clean, detailed midbass, and clean tweets that arent gonna sting my ears.

You guys know that shitty sound I'm talking about right? The one that makes you turn the music back down and tamper with every control you can to try and fix it!

If you guys could just summerize up what you've listened too perhaps I'll be able to find something to finally make me happy. I've got $500 to spend. I was gonna get the Focal 165KP for $479 off woofersetc.com but then I started seeing people complaining about their tweets at high volumes.

Right now this is whats running in my car...

Deck: Alpine 9813

Line Driver: AudioControl Matrix

Front/Rear: Polk Audio db crappy craps

Sub: 12" Kicker L5

Speaker Amp: Kicker 600.4

Sub Amp: Tsunami 1100db

Im looking for a comp set to replace my poor excuse for a front stage. Im running entry lvl polks right now that just sound terrible with rock music. LOUD HEAVY, POWERFUL ROCK is what I enjoy. In the past I've ran
MB Quart PCE216 - Midbass wonderful sound, tweeters shittiest screaching ever

MB Quart DCE216 - Wonderful sounding but just didnt get loud enough, tweeter was

ok tho unlike the PCE

Alpine SPR-176A(I think?) - tweeters didnt hurt, midbass pretty strong but sounded

kinda distorted

Infinity Reference Coaxals - Never could stop them from hurting my ears

Rockford fanatic Coaxals - Hurt more than Infinity

I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO FIND SOMETHING THAT PLAYS WELL WITH ROCK MUSIC!!! Everything sounded fine when playing dance or rap, but I dont listen to that crap!! What can you guys reccomend? I need something with great SQ but can get LOUD. I need STRONG clean, detailed midbass, and clean tweets that arent gonna sting my ears.

You guys know that shitty sound I'm talking about right? The one that makes you turn the music back down and tamper with every control you can to try and fix it!

If you guys could just summerize up what you've listened too perhaps I'll be able to find something to finally make me happy. I've got $500 to spend. I was gonna get the Focal 165KP for $479 off woofersetc.com but then I started seeing people complaining about their tweets at high volumes.

Right now this is whats running in my car...

Deck: Alpine 9813

Line Driver: AudioControl Matrix

Front/Rear: Polk Audio db crappy craps

Sub: 12" Kicker L5

Speaker Amp: Kicker 600.4

Sub Amp: Tsunami 1100db
I love my arbiters, I'd suggest going active so you can choose a mid that has what you want and a tweeter that has what you want.

I hear good things about rainbows.... the Profi's and the SLC's are close to your price range with profi's being over and the SLC's being under

and if your looking for a quick switch out going active is not what you want... you'll need a powerful 4ch or 2 2ch + lots of wires and an x-over... but if you don't mind the work it's DEFINATELY the way to go. That way you could find a midbass you like and then hunt down a nice tweeter and end up with exactly what you are looking for...

I think I need a little lesson on active crossovers. Im not familiar with this... Do you mean switching the setting on my deck to the 3 way crossover thing and then running the tweets off one amp and then the midds off another?

So my font chanel would become the tweets

my old rear would be mids

and sub would remian sub...

I think I need a little lesson on active crossovers. Im not familiar with this... Do you mean switching the setting on my deck to the 3 way crossover thing and then running the tweets off one amp and then the midds off another?
So my font chanel would become the tweets

my old rear would be mids

and sub would remian sub...
Indeed.

The Alpine 9813 is capable of controlling a 3-way setup. The front RCA's would be for the tweeters, the rear RCA's would be for the mids, and the subwoofer would remain for the subs. The 9813 will give you the ability to HighPass the Tweets, BandPass the Mids, and LowPass the sub.

For my setup, I use TWO 2-channel amplifiers. You can also use a single 4channel amplifier.

nG

Allright this sounds like a good idea. so now my questions are(still?)

1. Good Strong Detailed midbasses? 6.5inch i can fit

2. A nice (soft? do i want soft sounding? what is soft in your opinion?) tweeter that I can crank loud without killing my ears

3. Does anyone know about alpine sub outputs being a little crappy?

Allright this sounds like a good idea. so now my questions are(still?)
1. Good Strong Detailed midbasses? 6.5inch i can fit

2. A nice (soft? do i want soft sounding? what is soft in your opinion?) tweeter that I can crank loud without killing my ears

3. Does anyone know about alpine sub outputs being a little crappy?
1. ID CX62, RE XXX6.5, Ascendant Arco/Arbiter, Adire Extremis (4ohm), Dayton RS (4ohm)...

2. I've REALLY fallen in love with the custom Vifa XT25 that Ascendant has. I mean, it's REALLY tits. Amazing.

3. Eh... not really. Especially back that far...

nG

1. ID CX62, RE XXX6.5, Ascendant Arco/Arbiter, Adire Extremis (4ohm), Dayton RS (4ohm)...
2. I've REALLY fallen in love with the custom Vifa XT25 that Ascendant has. I mean, it's REALLY tits. Amazing.

3. Eh... not really. Especially back that far...

nG
I remeber seeing pics of those RE XXX6.5 and they looked HUGE... So how do these, as well as the others you've mentioned sound?

Let me know guys!!

For your application, the ID CX62 as well and the Ascendant Arbiter/Arco would prolly be your best bet.

I've had experience with ALL of the ones i've listed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

nG

For your application, the ID CX62 as well and the Ascendant Arbiter/Arco would prolly be your best bet.
I've had experience with ALL of the ones i've listed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

nG
I had the ID CX64. Just so you know (thread poster) that they are a little bit bigger than 6.5" .... Could make a difference in your install;)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.