Striaght Pipeing

braien surgeri?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

One time in my welding class this kid took off his exhaust on his 4 cyl nissan truck. It sounded like a pissed off bumble bee and everyone told him to put it back on. I don't see how any 4cyl is goinng to sound like a V8.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gifI don't see how any 4cyl is goinng to sound like a V8.

It NEVER will contrary to what some will tell you.

My friend has a 4 cyl Cavalier, and he strait piped it, I acually think he just took off the muffler, and it sounded awesome. Is all I was planning on doin was taking off the muffler, and gettin some pipe to put in the mufflers place. It would give me a little sound, but not have to worry about noise ordinaces or other stuff like that.

It cant.
4 cyl=2 firing per rotation

8cyl=4 firing per rotation.

It simply wont sound like it. Its impossible.
Unusual, not impossible.

Ever heard a V-4? My Yamaha V-Max sounds like a pro fueler when I pop the can off.

Sound also has to do with cylinder arrangement.

I thought striaght pipeing added a little horespower, not take power away. Thats another reason I wanted to striaght pipe, add a little horespower for faster acceleration.

Straight piping will most likely make you slower unless you are suffering from a significant drop in torque nearing redline ... You'll significantly remove the scavengine effect from the lower RPMs and reduce the average power over your gears ... Less average power = less acceleration ...

agreed. the minimal gains you make in the higher RPMs will be negated by no power in low and mid RPMs.

Straight pipe just means you take the cats/mufflers off of the car.
All you have to do is either cut/unbolt the cat, and the mufflers, and you are done.

On my car, I cutoff the cat, and the testpipe I used to replace it, I took that off, so now the only exhaust on my car is just the downpipe...hehehe
i would imagine that would be pretty loud

i run str8 pipes on my car, (just the mufflers gone) and its sounds really good, very low rumble, everyone says it sounds like a v-8, when i did it, it gained alot of upper RPM's, be careful if you remove the cats thats usually when the loud backfirering starts, and alot of times can sound pretty crappy, i heard a berreta with just the down pipe and it sounded like a helocopter or something that **** was loud

I put dual super 40 series flowmasters on my truck. So if i use the same logic my truck must sound like a V-12 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I always thought straight-piping was removing the exhaust altogether ... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
For me, it was. The downpipe is my only exhaust now.

Most cars its just taking off the mufflers and cat(s). That would then just leave the headers, or if they used a testpipe, a straight pipe.

Straight piping(from what I've always understood it as) is simply removing the exhaust, and by exhaust I mean mufflers and cat(s),and just leaving the headers, or putting in straight pipes where the mufflers and cats were.

i would imagine that would be pretty loud
Think of a hearty v-8, now take away all the higher freq noise, so all that is left is the rumble and deep tones. If you listen,you can hear the turbine at idle....I need to go finish my car...NOW.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

qtipextra

5,000+ posts
The Original
qtipextra
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date