Striaght Pipeing

Theres two stickers. Inspection and Registration. If you've never had your car inspected ever. Then your inspection sticker is probably long pass overdue and yo u can get pulled over and ticketed.

If you really want to strait pipe it would be best to cut the cat off, hollow it out and reinstall it so its not so obvious that you dont have one. Either way its illegal in most states though..but then again so is dark tinting.

Right on netherland, iv never heard of cops ever checkin for that kinda stuff here.
whos talking about cops cause i was just adding on about inspection stations. maybe i would go back and talk to ur parents or dad. cause once its off u gona pay a pretty penny to just pass edmissions tests.

Don't take the cat off!

I straightpiped my Crown Vic and left the cats on, it sounded good, I heard a lincoln totally striahgtpiped it sounded shitty and like something was wrong with the car.

The cats smooth out the sound, stop backfiring, popping snapping etc.

You prob think im OMFG stupid or sumthin, but how do u strait pipe a car? I have a 92 chevy corsica. The muffler on the rear I will take off, and get some pipe to put in its place, but do I take of the cat converter clear up by the front of my car as well?
Aside from the obnoxious noise, what's the point?

You are going to want at least some backpressure usually - most engines like a little bit to run their best.

not cops, you just have to get a state inspection where you drive somwhere once a year so they can deem your car road worthy.
Every state law is different. This is not a requirement in every state. BTW, the title should read, STRAIGHT PIPING. School is your friend.

ouch grammar ninja.

Aside from the obnoxious noise, what's the point?
You are going to want at least some backpressure usually - most engines like a little bit to run their best.
Correct, your best bet is to buy a bee hive and replace your muffler. Gut the cat too or like marleyskater said, cut it and throw a test pipe on there. Or if you have inspections you could try a glasspack. I dunno if the work on 4 bangers. Also if you want it to sound good, (decent). Please, do not buy a APC muffler. Spending around 150-200 will get you away from ppl turning heads and laughing at you.

Also if you have a air scilencer (usually under your airbox) take that off. It'll give it a little sound. Play with your intake too (intake tube, cone filter) it may sound a little better. Not sure for a I4 though.

I had a volkswagen golf GTI, exhaust was all bolted on. My dad and I gutted the cat becasue it was clogged and I didnt feel like buying because it was probably more than the car was worth. Anyways my car sounded like a vaccum/motorcycle. Then when the downpipe snapped off the manifold sounded like my car had a v8 except it was backfiring.

So if you run a straight pipe be aware that you can and probably will be pulled over for noise ordiances. That crap is LOUD.

In a few weeks I'm cutting off my cats and resonater. Then running true duals and maybe putting some flowmasters on. Then it will accually sound like a v8.

BTW, the title should read, STRAIGHT PIPING. School is your friend.
I've always thought that if you can't spell what you're trying to do, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

qtipextra

5,000+ posts
The Original
qtipextra
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date