STRAP DAISY CHAIN the amps or USE INDIVIDUALLY for 2 10" AQHdc3D1 and 2 AQ1200D?

Participant count
  • Participant list

swollen_cu
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hi, I have two Audioque AQ1200d's and 2 10" Audioque AQHdC3 DUAL 1 Ohm and I would like to get

recommendations if I should strap the amps or I should use one amp on each sub.

Either way in both options, The final impedance ohm load going to be lower than

what the amps can handle. If I strap them, the final ohm load will be 1 ohm when the amp

can handle minimum of 2 ohms strapped. On the other hand, if I use them individually

the final ohm load will be 0.5 ohm when the amp can handle a minimum of 1 ohm.

Of course I can use them in series at 2 ohm individually, but I wont be getting any power

so I'm down to those 2 options...

I know it would be okay to run it at lower impedance because I have upgraded electrical

system with HO alternator and 2 batteries, but which option out of those two would be safer to run for the amp and subs? Which option of those 2 would also be more efficient and draw less current?

I'm just confused on which options to take and want to do it right. I would have been better off with

DUAL 2 ohm subs, but I can't do nothing about it because I have D1.

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it......

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have gotten dual 2 ohms, if im correct. Unless they can be strapped at 1 ohm but i dont believe that would be great...

Edit: You could run one amp to each sub, but it just makes it harder to set the gains.

Last edited by a moderator:
higher imp doesnt mean you wont get any power... a doubling of power only makes 3db difference IIRC, now if it were 10x power you would be adding about 10 db's again this is in theory... personally i wouldnt risk blowing an amp to gain a couple db's also higher imp is less stressful on your electric

i would run it at 4 ohms and strap the amps or 2 ohms each, but im not rich and im a noob

Hehe. 3dB is a lot to me. I already have both amps so I mind as well use them both. If I would want to use it at 4 ohm strapped, I mind as

well just use one amp at 1 ohm for both of the subs in series. So it will only be one amp drawing current instead of 2 amps and I will get the same

amount of power.

I just want to use the subs to it's potential because these can handle 1000w RMS easily, but I know they can handle more. Thanks

higher imp doesnt mean you wont get any power... a doubling of power only makes 3db difference IIRC, now if it were 10x power you would be adding about 10 db's again this is in theory... personally i wouldnt risk blowing an amp to gain a couple db's also higher imp is less stressful on your electric
i would run it at 4 ohms and strap the amps or 2 ohms each, but im not rich and im a noob

Well bro if your strap the ohms are either gonna be too high or too low, one way would be to put a splitter on the RCA's and set the gains on each amp accordingly which is more difficult because no two amps are exactly the same. You could still do the first one but your electrical would have to be pretty beast. and exactly what you said about 4 ohms strapped. IMO

Well bro if your strap the ohms are either gonna be too high or too low, one way would be to put a splitter on the RCA's and set the gains on each amp accordingly which is more difficult because no two amps are exactly the same. You could still do the first one but your electrical would have to be pretty beast. and exactly what you said about 4 ohms strapped. IMO
I don't get it. How come I should split the RCA. I will be getting less volts from the in dash to the amp if I do that. I was planning on using the master and slave in either one of my options if I choose to strap or use individually. Which option did you say that my electrical would have to be pretty beast? That means that that option you think draws more current. I just want to use the option that draws less current and is more safe. I'm not worried about the gain power being off by like 1 percent because both of the subs will be in separate chambers. If it was just one big chamber then I would definite do strap because it's just like one big amp and I dont have to worry about setting gains accordingly on both amps...

does anyone know what I should do?
Well bro if your not worried about the gains being off by a little which if they r in two diff chambers i wouldnt either. Just use the splitter and set the gains accordingly to make up for the loss of volts. Only other way would be to strap them but your subs arent really a great matching set for this install.

870X1 @ 2 ohm... you wouldnt be doubling the power at 1 ohm, maybe at .5 you would, but if you do this just know that it will void your warranty, AND you need some good electrical from the quick search i did... again i wouldnt do it.. i would sell those or keep em for later and buy an amp capable of running 2kw+ at 1 ohm... or buy something like the ap3000d puts out 1500x2 at 1 ohm or 2000x1 at 4ohm, both are options you have, and can be found for around 300

im a tard.. you cant wire each sub to one ohm... but depending on your box you could probably get away with it.. if you have alot of imp rise.. or a small box to allow your sub to handle more power

worst case scenario you end up blowing your subs from a clipped signal and blow your amps too, not too bad if your really interested in that extra couple dbs.. sarcasm

All I know is my subs are D1. I can either wire them each at 0.5 ohm or both in series at 1 ohm.

How would I know how much impedance rise I have on my subs. I hope there's a rise. The rise would be better off for me

because it would be 1 point something ohms when I could only use minimum of 2 ohms strapped.

I rather it be 1.something ohms than just 1ohm...

870X1 @ 2 ohm... you wouldnt be doubling the power at 1 ohm, maybe at .5 you would, but if you do this just know that it will void your warranty, AND you need some good electrical from the quick search i did... again i wouldnt do it.. i would sell those or keep em for later and buy an amp capable of running 2kw+ at 1 ohm... or buy something like the ap3000d puts out 1500x2 at 1 ohm or 2000x1 at 4ohm, both are options you have, and can be found for around 300
im a tard.. you cant wire each sub to one ohm... but depending on your box you could probably get away with it.. if you have alot of imp rise.. or a small box to allow your sub to handle more power

worst case scenario you end up blowing your subs from a clipped signal and blow your amps too, not too bad if your really interested in that extra couple dbs.. sarcasm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.