Stopped in at a local shop and....

youdoofus

Skibidi
The place sells Phoenix Gold equipment, and carries the Elite series of amps. The salesman proceeds to tell me that the vast majority of the Elite.4's and Elite.5's that he has seen go thru their shop have all detonated. Kersploded. Blewdid up. Have any of you guys heard anything about these amps failing? Sounds weird for the sales person to tell me that their $1650.00 amp blows up on a regular basis when in peoples cars. Also blows me away that Phoenix Gold would have such a bad track record with such a bada$$ looking (i mean the components used to make it) amp. Pretty perplexed right now :/

PG got bought out by AAMP. They are doing better then DEI owned PG but it's overpriced for what you get.

I would use the TI amps but not the Elites. To power hungry for these days.

PG got bought out by AAMP. They are doing better then DEI owned PG but it's overpriced for what you get. I would use the TI amps but not the Elites. To power hungry for these days.
well, that EQ i have had an Elite.4 offered up for it which is what led me to ask. I didnt want to say anything before i got it as to not jinx myself, but it seems that it might not be the best route to go. The guy who offered up the trade works for AAMP

SX series are Zed designed and very nice power in small footprint with reasonably good crossover options for their size.
it astonishes me that the big Elites seem to have such a poor overall view by the very people trying to sell them.

The place sells Phoenix Gold equipment, and carries the Elite series of amps. The salesman proceeds to tell me that the vast majority of the Elite.4's and Elite.5's that he has seen go thru their shop have all detonated. Kersploded. Blewdid up. Have any of you guys heard anything about these amps failing? Sounds weird for the sales person to tell me that their $1650.00 amp blows up on a regular basis when in peoples cars. Also blows me away that Phoenix Gold would have such a bad track record with such a bada$$ looking (i mean the components used to make it) amp. Pretty perplexed right now :/
I would have asked for more info/details as to what he was talking about. Could be blowing smoke up your *** for all you know....Could also be tons of user errors as well.

-------->10k!!!!!

I would have asked for more info/details as to what he was talking about. Could be blowing smoke up your *** for all you know....Could also be tons of user errors as well.
-------->10k!!!!!

Yeah, that was running thru my mind over and over while he was telling me this. I was like, wtf? Phoenix golds supposedly most b/a link ever can spontaneously combust???

The PG dealer near me has gotten tons of power out of the elite line.
They are overpriced, but far from junk
They are super expensive indeed! That being said, I did see a review of the Elite.4 on YouTube that goes into some specific parts details that describes componentry in those things as being also available in home amps that carry a pricetag of over $15k

They were getting around 4500w on the elite.1 wired down. Its rated 3200. They were getting mid 4000s at like 0.9 and 12.8ish volts

They were getting around 4500w on the elite.1 wired down. Its rated 3200. They were getting mid 4000s at like 0.9 and 12.8ish volts
I'm just concerned that if I get this thing, is it gonna go up in smoke. Of course, its gonna take a far better charging system than I currently have esp given the sq2200.1 draws 200 amps by itself

Should have a good warranty via brick and mortar.

What is the cost? I know retail is something dumb like 1,999$... but whats the shop talking?

shop probably omitted the possibility of owners cranking gain and they just happen to blame the product... i mean, pg still retains some of their core principles and really doesnt build their products for pure spl applications as long as ive known, but this is the first instance ive heard of the newer lines having issues across the board.

this is why i always overdo applied amplifier power and back off the gain for that sweet overhead.

im sure alot of reputable shops that actually dial in the power to offset the chance of failure would have less returns if there was a way to lock gain settings.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.