Stop the rattles! Advice Please.

Alejandro14

Senior VIP Member
Texas
I have three packs of the stinger in my f150 and no complaints yet. I have two packs of noico deadener also and wasn't a huge fan of how thin it was. The stingers nice, heavy and thick.

how many layers did you use on the doors ? you think with 1 pack i can do all 4 doors and maybe the back wall?
Deadener is not the cure for rattles. Foam is. Deadener dampens vibrations and lower vehicle resonance. While rattle is mainly two hard surfaces banging against each other. You need to find out where it is and use foam to decouple the surfaces.

Most rattles is on roof and back wall ' the back wall sounds ugly behind rear seats how do i foam that... i bought foam yesterday ' but i do want to add some layers of dampening on doors .

Most rattles is on roof and back wall ' the back wall sounds ugly behind rear seats how do i foam that... i bought foam yesterday ' but i do want to add some layers of dampening on doors .
great stuff expanding foam Red can. The roof can take a few layers of deadener if you have a moderate to small system under 3.5k watts. More than that, i'd highly suggest doing plywood on the roof instead. Helps flex control more than deadener can ever dream of. = more dbs easy and way cheaper.

I just bought a 12 pack of 12x12 eggcrate foam for less than $18. Hopefully it works well. Gonna install it very soon. Already deadened a good amount of my car and even used great stuff foam inside the trunk lid but I still have some rattles on a few higher notes. I wanna shove as much as I can through the open gaps and doors. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Here's the link to it if you guys are interested. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EIHFOTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just bought a 12 pack of 12x12 eggcrate foam for less than $18. Hopefully it works well. Gonna install it very soon. Already deadened a good amount of my car and even used great stuff foam inside the trunk lid but I still have some rattles on a few higher notes. I wanna shove as much as I can through the open gaps and doors. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Here's the link to it if you guys are interested. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EIHFOTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Isn't this for absorbing sound?

Isn't this for absorbing sound?
Yes, it's normally for studios to get rid of that echo effect in a room. Came across this interesting article which is what made me interested in this stuff. Soundproofing vs Sound Absorbing - What's the Difference? - Acoustical Surfaces

I still didn't know what kind of effect it did in car audio but I've been reading people were using them in cars with success. It was a bit pricey for the good stuff and the cheap stuff looks paper thin. I saw a lot of good reviews on this product and it was only $18 so I figured it was worth a shot. The worse that can happen is I hate it, take it out, and lose $18.

UPDATE.... I just attempted to stuff this acoustic eggcrate foam in the crevices of the taillights, inside the trunk lid, and stuffed my left door. I was hoping it got rid of all my rattles. First thing I noticed was wtf! why is it so much louder than before. Then I turn it up and I hear a new rattle I've never heard! and it is louder than before! I step outside and look for the rattle. I really made sure to cover the spaces where I thought the rattles were coming from. To my surprise, the rattle is actually coming from the spare wheel tire area. The rattle is very noticeable on the outside now. FML lol. So it actually did a very good job that it transferred to the weakest point. I never felt the need to deaden the spare wheel tire before bc it was never a problem. And now.. it just became a big problem lol. I have to put my gains way down now until I conquer this new rattle. After everything was said and done, I rolled my left window down only to find out I can't roll it all the way down.. FML lol. Gotta take out some foam. I put too much.

hi i have a 2007 f150 crew cab 2 big doors and 2 small doors ... i want to install some sound deadner i was looking into 2 products but you guys can also name some brands or give advice i have like 120 to spend this are the 2 products i was looking into. dynamat to expensive . thank you bass heads.!
NVX SDBP40 40 Sq Ft Bulk Pack Sound Dampening for an Entire Car

Stinger RKX36B Roadkill Expert Series Sound Damping Material Bulk
Second Skin's products are expensive but I love the 20 sq-ft of their Damplifier Pro my installer guy installed for me. I want to do MORE!

John Kuthe...

My DIY project was to use Frost King 12" x 1/8" x 15' Foam Foil Duct cost around $18.00. Well worth it did my trunk and doors with it. My car sound better then my son car with the Dynmat. Look it up on U tube others have done it too.

My DIY project was to use Frost King 12" x 1/8" x 15' Foam Foil Duct cost around $18.00. Well worth it did my trunk and doors with it. My car sound better then my son car with the Dynmat. Look it up on U tube others have done it too.
Interesting, thanks! :) Whatever works, yano? Stick on or did you have to use separate adhesive?

John Kuthe...

It is stick on and remember you don't have to cover all the area that needs it. Only 25% needs to be covered the rest is a waste. Going to do under my hood today and thinking of doing my roof with it. I have been away from the car audio busniess for about 15 yrs. but getting back into it. This producted is something to check out and the price is right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.