Stock Radio wont come on.. How to check if its bad?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Connor Leonard

CarAudio.com Newbie
Yes, I just bought a 03 Honda accord and the stock radio is not working. It just doesnt come on or anything. The guy I bought it from said about a month or so before I bought it from him one day it was working fine and then the next time he got in car it wouldnt come on. Now I already checked the radio fuse in the box on the inside by the drives feet. Also, I called a local audio install place that does really good work and says that I could bring it by and he knows a way where he can check and tell me if the Radio its self is just bad and no good anymore or that its still good and that there is another problem. I dont really feel like going drive 45min across town to them and plus I like to figure stuff out myself and tinker with things so does anyone know how to also check to see if the stock radio is bad? Im assuming there must be a way to like take a volt meter and touch it to a certain part if I take it apart and see? Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Yes, I just bought a 03 Honda accord and the stock radio is not working. It just doesnt come on or anything. The guy I bought it from said about a month or so before I bought it from him one day it was working fine and then the next time he got in car it wouldnt come on. Now I already checked the radio fuse in the box on the inside by the drives feet. Also, I called a local audio install place that does really good work and says that I could bring it by and he knows a way where he can check and tell me if the Radio its self is just bad and no good anymore or that its still good and that there is another problem. I dont really feel like going drive 45min across town to them and plus I like to figure stuff out myself and tinker with things so does anyone know how to also check to see if the stock radio is bad? Im assuming there must be a way to like take a volt meter and touch it to a certain part if I take it apart and see? Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
there really is only a few things you can do in this situation. my neighbor across the street just sold his 03 accord and it had an aftermarket in the lower compartment and a dead OEM HU in its stock location (why he did it that way, i have no clue). so, if your fuse is good, you can pull the stock deck and find the constant and switched 12 volt leads and check them with a DMM. The constant should always show 12v and switched only when the key is on the acc or on position. My bet is that the deck is dead, and you can replace it with an aftermarket unit for dirt cheap nowadays and make it sound a lot better at the same time compared to a working OEM HU. While youre at is, if money availability permits, get one with android auto and make your car navi enabled ;)  you can get a double din that looks sharp as hell for around $300 and using either android auto or (yuck) apple car play can add google maps navigation in one fell swoop

The reason he put it in the bottom compartment is because the stock radio and ac/heater controls is all one unit and if you want have it at the top where the stock radio is at you have to get a whole aftermarket unit with ac controls and all and since its such a old car all I can find is cheap chinese made ones and if they go out then thats controlling your ac also. So I am actually thinking about doing the same thing and putting in down at the bottom for this reason. Dont want to get a cheap unit and have it go bad and then also be out of ac! Thanks for the answer, I think I am just going to order a doble din navigation like you said and put it in the bottom compartment.. Kinda ugly and doesnt look as good, but not looking to put a lot of money into this car TBH. I just got it for a runner and isnt my main for of transportation. Got a deal on it and not worth putting a lot into. Thanks for the reply though! 

The reason he put it in the bottom compartment is because the stock radio and ac/heater controls is all one unit and if you want have it at the top where the stock radio is at you have to get a whole aftermarket unit with ac controls and all and since its such a old car all I can find is cheap chinese made ones and if they go out then thats controlling your ac also. So I am actually thinking about doing the same thing and putting in down at the bottom for this reason. Dont want to get a cheap unit and have it go bad and then also be out of ac! Thanks for the answer, I think I am just going to order a doble din navigation like you said and put it in the bottom compartment.. Kinda ugly and doesnt look as good, but not looking to put a lot of money into this car TBH. I just got it for a runner and isnt my main for of transportation. Got a deal on it and not worth putting a lot into. Thanks for the reply though! 
oh yeah, LOL totally forgot about that. Its not my car, and i havent fiddled with it since i helped him reconnect everything and get the stock stereo back up and running. it wasnt something i committed to memory, since it wasnt my car. Reminds me of the  early 2000s taurus and the stupid oval dash thing they did

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.