Stock hu with a lot of bass attenuation

Participant count
  • Participant list

n2audio
5,000+ posts

OPTIDRIVEN
I like to run stock hu.
After spending several hours sorting out wiring, getting LOC, sub amp, sub up and running i discovered a LOT of low fq cut coming from the stock system.

Is there an inexpensive bass processor or should I just go with an aftermarket hu?

It's a pretty rare vehicle (09 Kia Borrego) with the least common sound system available - Infinity w/nav, ext. amp, 10 speakers. I'm concerned that I will have problems finding adapters/install kits and end up having to spend way too much on this project.

If your source unit is attenuating the low frequencies, adding a processor downstream from that isn't going to get the results you probably want. Either find a way to disable the processing in the stock h/u, or replace it and keep the stock unit in your closet for in case you ever sell the car and want it authentic.

If your source unit is attenuating the low frequencies, adding a processor downstream from that isn't going to get the results you probably want. Either find a way to disable the processing in the stock h/u, or replace it and keep the stock unit in your closet for in case you ever sell the car and want it authentic.

🤨 The processor downstream is what would restore the low fq problem. The LC2i "Accubass" LOC, for example.

or just bypass the head unit completely and get a dayton dsp. stream music directly to bluetooth to the dsp. Everything done on your phone. The stock head unit is just there for looks.

I figured you might suggest that. I'm not entirely opposed to trying that, but my problem is I listen to satellite radio more than anything. I can stream it from my phone but I don't have unl. data. If the dsp had a 3.5mm input it would really help (I guess I could set that up with the RCA input...hmm :unsure:)

Damn it. This is going to be a pain :cautious:

Don’t all the loc’s just do summation versus de-equalization which is what you need. I think the challenge becomes finding one with the number of preouts that you need...without going broke. Hertz h8 perhaps

🤨 The processor downstream is what would restore the low fq problem. The LC2i "Accubass" LOC, for example.

I figured you might suggest that. I'm not entirely opposed to trying that, but my problem is I listen to satellite radio more than anything. I can stream it from my phone but I don't have unl. data. If the dsp had a 3.5mm input it would really help (I guess I could set that up with the RCA input...hmm :unsure:)

Damn it. This is going to be a pain :cautious:
think about it. an expensive install trying to find all the parts looking at an upwards of thousands of bucks vs 180 of the dayton dsp+dongle and upgrading an unlimited data plan. Idk about you but I like my data lol.

I don't recommend a system which adds distortion when attenuating the signal, and then adds distortion again to boost those same frequencies. But we each have our own perspective on setting up a system, what you consider acceptable is what matters.

I don't recommend a system which adds distortion when attenuating the signal, and then adds distortion again to boost those same frequencies. But we each have our own perspective on setting up a system, what you consider acceptable is what matters.

I'd like to think I have pretty good hearing, but I'm not sure 0.01% of the lci2 would be an issue, as 10x that much is known to be inaudible :confused:
It would be by far the highest quality LOC I've ever used.

I just want to bring my sub back to life, because rt now it dies below ~40hz.

I'd like to think I have pretty good hearing, but I'm not sure 0.01% of the lci2 would be an issue, as 10x that much is known to be inaudible :confused:
It would be by far the highest quality LOC I've ever used.

I just want to bring my sub back to life, because rt now it dies below ~40hz.
the accubass doesnt really solve the issue, its legit just a bass boost knob. There is no actual restoration of signal going on, its just adding the bass that wasnt there and boosting it so you are actually getting a really nasty distorted signal. Its better than your regular LOC due to the heavy bass boost technology that gives the appearance of performance but its no where near an actual sub out low level input in terms of fullness. Some cars have really bad stock head unit cuts to where even the LC2i is completely useless garbage. You need actual factory DE-equalization and restoration of the signal with input EQ features that actually does what it says it does vs and audiocontrol bass boost knob aka lc2i.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.