Participant count
  • Participant list

more_spl
10+ year member

only have 1, but it's 12"
Winnipeg
i have a 2000 Grand Am.

i am installing a system in it.

i only have the stock HU and it seems pretty good. EQ's and all.

im just wondering, do i REALLY need a new HU to run a system?

i have a MTX Thunder8302 amp, and am going to have it running (2) 10" subs.

if i run this system off the stock HU, will anything damage in it?

will it break or something?

like, besides the extra wattage in new HU's, why bother?

please tell me all that can go wrong TY!

Yes you can run your stock hu with an aftermarket amp. You'd most likely have to buy a signal converter for the speaker leads to convert the speaker wires to rca plugs. I like aftermarket radios because they offer a lot more features, have better sound quality, give you more options on what you can install such as multiple amps, cd changers etc. and they look a lot better in my opinion. You wouldn't damage anything by running your stock hu with a sub or amps provided you changed your factory speakers. Good luck.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have to admit, some stock head units are awsome for being, well, stock:) Should sound good if the stock speakers are replaced!

i WOULD replace my stock 6x9's and front components, but i have to admit, they DO have pretty good SQ... i havent heard to many good stock speakers, but i like mine.

i prefer mine over the "sony Xplod".....

Yeah, I know what your saying. If you like the way yours sound, dont replace them...if you want superb sound quality replace them with a pair of crystal clear Infinity's or MB Quart's

Yeah your going to eventually need to replace the deck but if you dont want to spend the money on a new deck right now, the stock will work for now:)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.