Stinger voltmeter?

Charbel Bernaba

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
May 6, 2019
I wanna install stinger voltmeter directly to the amp. but somebody told me not to use the remote on the amp and use a relay so the remote can trigger the relay? I didn't understand what he meant by relay can anyone explain why i cannot use it directly from there and i need to use a relay?

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
You don't need a relay for just adding a volt meter remote wire. 

I have had 6 amps and 2 volt meters off the remote wire with no issue,.

Charbel Bernaba

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
May 6, 2019

i need to buy the relay it wont come with the voltemeter? do u think audio installer guy have it?

poolman966554

Senior VIP Member
Mar 5, 2015
PA

ive always added a relay to my volt meters, as i really dont care what the headunit output voltage is, as it may not always be the same as the Battery/amp terminal. I dont know if there is any influence such as capacitance that can give a false reading from what amp actually is seeing. better safe than sorryimo. and for roughly $2 and 15 min, i know its good.  just my .02

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
The remote wire is just a turn on source...

The volt meter reads voltage from the positive and negative which will be at the amp terminals.

In no way would it read headunit voltage.

The only reason to add a relay for a remote wire is when you are running alot of amps and the headunit remote isn't enough to trigger all the amps to turn on. 

You don't need a relay for a volt meter....

poolman966554

Senior VIP Member
Mar 5, 2015
PA
The remote wire is just a turn on source...

The volt meter reads voltage from the positive and negative which will be at the amp terminals.

In no way would it read headunit voltage.

The only reason to add a relay for a remote wire is when you are running alot of amps and the headunit remote isn't enough to trigger all the amps to turn on. 

You don't need a relay for a volt meter....
Not sure i follow.. I assumed you were using the remote terminal, and ground to turn on the voltmeter when i wrote the comment above. Otherwise, you would use Batt and gnd from amp which will keep the meter on until battery is depleted.

How are you sure that the remote voltage coming from the headunit isnt manipulated/delayed?? isnt it easier to just install a relay that to wonder or actually figure out the internal circuitry?

poolman966554

Senior VIP Member
Mar 5, 2015
PA
I just looked up a "stinger" volt meter, and seen most have 3 wires! thats the reason i wasnt getting it. I only have 2 wire voltage gauges, hence my diagram in post #2, and the 3 wire has its own turn on.

Sorry Popwarhomie, wasnt trying to be a d*ck,

Last edited by a moderator:

nate0

Apr 18, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I just looked up a "stinger" volt meter, and seen most have 3 wires! thats the reason i wasnt getting it. I only have 2 wire voltage gauges, and the 3 wire has its own turn on.

I have two vm. An SMD analog and SQ digital. Both have a remote turn on.  I was considering getting meters with only a two wire setup and then set up a rocker switch for them, but these meters turned out to be the ones I wanted.  Probably should look up how +5v turn on circuits are setup/isolated to clearly see what is going on.

poolman966554

Senior VIP Member
Mar 5, 2015
PA
 I was considering getting meters with only a two wire setup and then set up a rocker switch for them, 
Thats a great way to have a dead battery after you "forget" to turn them off lol. in the 2 wire world, relay is the way to go imo

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
I just looked up a "stinger" volt meter, and seen most have 3 wires! thats the reason i wasnt getting it. I only have 2 wire voltage gauges, hence my diagram in post #2, and the 3 wire has its own turn on.

All good. I didn't see you were talking about a 2 wire meter.

Charbel Bernaba

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
May 6, 2019
All good. I didn't see you were talking about a 2 wire meter.
i just checked my.voltages after getting it installed and my voltage most of the time is 13.2 13.1 and couple of songs when the bass drops really hard i get to 12.8 12.6 and it goes back up reallt quick

Charbel Bernaba

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
May 6, 2019
Not likely on a volt meter unless you leave it running for a week.
my man i finished installing the voltemeter to my amp. my voltages when bass cranking is 13.2. 13.1 steady the only time i saw it dropping to 12.8 when i was really loud. am i good or not? when the car is cold and i turn my car with accesories only on. i get 11.8.

nate0

Apr 18, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
my man i finished installing the voltemeter to my amp. my voltages when bass cranking is 13.2. 13.1 steady the only time i saw it dropping to 12.8 when i was really loud. am i good or not? when the car is cold and i turn my car with accesories only on. i get 11.8.
That is a whole other topic. That is not terribly abnormal, but maybe you have slight ground issue. When I say issue I mean it is not a good ground or maybe not enough. If you never see your voltage at 14v or higher when at idle and no music playing then start there first.  You should see the same voltage reading at the amp as you do on the battery when the car is turned on and no music playing.  If not the ground is most likely the reason.  Take a volt meter and check the battery terminals when the car is on. If it is 14.xx v then check the amp inputs and see. Music is dynamic so blasting the woofer will make the voltage go where ever the amp needs to take the woofer.

Charbel Bernaba

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
May 6, 2019
That is a whole other topic. That is not terribly abnormal, but maybe you have slight ground issue. When I say issue I mean it is not a good ground or maybe not enough. If you never see your voltage at 14v or higher when at idle and no music playing then start there first.  You should see the same voltage reading at the amp as you do on the battery when the car is turned on and no music playing.  If not the ground is most likely the reason.  Take a volt meter and check the battery terminals when the car is on. If it is 14.xx v then check the amp inputs and see. Music is dynamic so blasting the woofer will make the voltage go where ever the amp needs to take the woofer.
uhm its true that i need to see 14.00 whateve,but dont forger when i run car accesories without the engine on. many things turn on as well. the radio. the small digital display on the dashboard and 2 amps at the back. and i called my dealership i bought the car from saying its normal. and i checked the battery voltege and amp.voltage and same thing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Terrum General Discussion 0