Still clipping?

scottyk
10+ year member

lil' nig
NY
Getting some clipping issues still with my 2 DD 1508's running off of my AQ 2200D. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think the big 3 should cause this much of an issue but it seems to be the only thing I really need?

I've got 0 gauge running to the back, an Optima redtop up front, big ole' GNB sprinter battery in the back. Stock alternator, but I know there are plenty of people on here running the wattage I am with a few stronger batteries and no real issues.

The 2200D comes with that handy bass control knob that has the clipping light and it shows clipping at only about half way. I haven't done the big three yet, but even still, would just not having that electrical upgrade alone cause me to not be able to turn the knob up nearly the other half of the way? (not saying I would for the woofers sake, but I'd like to give them a little more juice).

Any opinions?

Any of the amps I've owned with a clipping light has looked like a strobe light!
I'm on the verge of a clip alllll thhe tiime
So should I not be paying so much attention to it then? My knowledge of it isn't complete, but clipped signal means trouble for your speakers pretty quick, does it not?

Ok, ill keep that in mind!

But I guess now I'm just wondering is shouldn't the two batteries I have be able to produce enough watts for my amp? I planned to later get some nice components and amp them as well, that will only further compound the issue? I assumed both of these batteries would do just fine for. 2k

Haveing to little or too many batts will not cause nor eliminate clipping.
So then what is the cause of it? How can I eliminate it so I can ive my woofers a little more juice?

So should I not be paying so much attention to it then? My knowledge of it isn't complete, but clipped signal means trouble for your speakers pretty quick, does it not?
depends. if you have a 100 watt sub and use an amp that puts out 10 watts and you clip the hell out of it, it wont hurt the sub

a little clipping won't hurt

remember it's not the clipping that can be bad, it's the extra power that comes from it that can be damaging
x2

iirc, full clipping is LIKE putting out as much as 2x the power

So then I guess I gotta ask, what causes clipping? I thought it was from insufficient electric? And my other question is, if my gain is too high, how can I set it so I'm giving each of my 8's around 1k a piece without clipping?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.