Stereo stops working

Participant count
  • Participant list

TNA

I have a 97 bmw 528i and the stock head unit. Sometimes the stereo goes completely out. I'll start the car and nothing audio related works at all. The display still works, but pressing any audio related button does nothing, clock works fine still. It's done this before, and will stay off anywhere from a couple hours to a week, then randomly start working when I start the car again. It's not a bad head unit because I swapped it with the same one in my fathers car and still nothing. I've checked all the fuses and everything seems fine. I'm at a total loss for how to fix this.

yank out all of the factory stuff and put in something that sounds good
Everything other than the head unit has been replaced, but it really doesn't help if you can't turn it on????

prob dodgy fuse or sumfin, or the preamp for the speakers might be on the way out
Checked fuses, they all looked good but maybe I'll replace them all to see if it helps. Wouldn't be preamps because there isn't any sort of signal even going to the speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.