stealth system??

spicmonster
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
hello all....

Im getting a new honda accord coupe and i was wondering how diffucult is it to install a stealth system??? i mean like is it easy to install new speakers and 2 amps and a sub without changing the stock head unit.. because in my nieghborhood if people see that you have an after market radio installed...the next morning u wake up to a broken window..so i was hoping i would be able to keep the stock head unit but still have a good system in it....i would appericate all the input as possible...i just want to know if its possible!?

thanks alot

that's a toughie, 'cause Honda's pretty renowned for having SKANK stock systems, HU & all. maybe you could just find a discrete place to mount a second HU, and leave your stock HU in for looks. i suppose when you say "if people see that you have an after market radio installed", you mean even if you remove the faceplate, they'll still smash your windows?

abe m.

Move to a new neighborhood //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I can leave my window open all night and have no problems at all,ive done it before,quite a few times also(not on purpose)

yea pretty much...once they see that empty slot for a radio...its all over plus the fact i have no garage to park my car.. i mean is it impossible?? cause when i do it..i wanna hook up 4 speakers...1 amp to them...then 1 amp and a sub...im reallly really tryin to avoid a HU...i was thinking maybe i'll get a shop to install it..cause it seems like its gonna be hard...

yea pretty much...once they see that empty slot for a radio...its all over plus the fact i have no garage to park my car.. i mean is it impossible?? cause when i do it..i wanna hook up 4 speakers...1 amp to them...then 1 amp and a sub...im reallly really tryin to avoid a HU...i was thinking maybe i'll get a shop to install it..cause it seems like its gonna be hard...
If you can find a good installer, you may be able to mount the hu in a remote location, (glove box, side of drivers/passanger seat etc..), then they can mound the face plate somewhere not easily noticed but still very accessable to you - I have seen this done before, and it works well if done correctly.

I have an 03 accord, and beleive the 04 is the same. You don't need to take out the stock head unit (it's connected to the AC controls and if one goes, the other goes). Go to Crutchfield, they have an install kit that puts the head unit in the little storage area below the AC controls. It's not perfectly stealth, but if you take your face with you, or get one of those decks that just looks like a flat panel, then it will probably not be noticeable.

As for front speakers, Honda does something hella-stupid with the driver's side door. Instead of just running wires all the way from the interior to the door, they actually have a wire harness built into the door. So if you're running your own wires, you'll have to be creative to get them to the front door speakers... what were they thinking...

Either way, you can do an aftermarket head unit without being obvious.

DirtySchemer is right about the door-wiring. my dad and i drilled thru the harnesses in the empty spaces (where there were no wire-pins), and fed the wire thru that. but 2 male ends + 2 female ends, means you have to drill 4 times. fun!

abe m.

so would i be able to connect...some like cdt, focal or mb quart components in the front and coax in the rear....then another amp hookup to a 10 inch diamond audio CM3.?

all witout a aftermarket head unit? (dont want a new H.U>!! LOL)

Yeah you can hook up any amp or processor or off a head unit, as long as it has speaker level inputs. The sq may not be ideal, but as long as you set the levels correctly it shouldn't be too bad.

It may take a little expiramenting to find the correct wires to tap to maintain your balance and fade functions on your head unit, you'll probably just have to tap into the wires directly behind the head unit.

how about picking up a nice mp3 player, and just finding a subtle way to integrate that with your stock stereo? shouldn't be too hard; lots of folks seem to be doing that these days.

abe m.

Well first, I don't think components are going to be overly stealth, the tweeters are going to be somewhere within sight. It is possible to integrate the amp into the stock system, its really not overly difficult either. As for the sub, if you are really in that bad of a neighborhood you aren't going to want anyone to ever see it. So you could build the box to hvae it fire fowards(towards you) and just make it the whole length of the back of the trunk so it just looks like the back wall. Integrate an amprack into it as well and it will be 100% stealth.

As for front speakers, Honda does something hella-stupid with the driver's side door. Instead of just running wires all the way from the interior to the door, they actually have a wire harness built into the door. So if you're running your own wires, you'll have to be creative to get them to the front door speakers... what were they thinking...
What they were thinking was of a way to slap the cars together faster on the assembly line thats all. When it comes to manufacturers, the last thing they think about is the audio system.............let alone considering someone might want to upgrade to aftermarket. If you buy domestic vehicles you won't run into these problems as much. Just my opinion though.

Adam

most of domestic cars are built somewhere else. or have the parts built somewhere else
what does that have to do with wiring on his door being a pain in the rear? Regardless of "where" it was assembled its still a product of MASS production on an assembly line which has caused problems for aftermarket system installation.

By the way, does your statement make you happy or something?

Adam

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.