Static/crackling sound from speakers at mid-volume

79corona
10+ year member

Classic Car Owner
VA
I have been getting these noises since installing the new system. I'm using the factory harness to connect speakers and power. I added an extra ground for speakers to the chassis. To date, I have been unable to turn the volume up very high without getting this noise no matter what the media source. However AM seems less problematic than FM, USB and CD but still cannot turn volume beyond low listening level. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Any thoughts?

Why are your speakers grounded to the chasis? I have only seen one radio in my life which had a positive going to each speaker, then at the negatives coming back to the deck, required them to be grounded. It was a $20 radio a budy bought at advanced auto parts, I shuttered putting it in for him. It was the crappiest cassete deck in the world, didn't have a rewind button, I doubt a radio like yours with a USB port would ground the speakers to chasis!

Well actually it did not change my problem, but I think you pointed out something I didn't mean to say; I meant to say I added a ground to the existing power ground connection, to another point on the chassis. The Kenwood power ground wire goes into the factory harness, and I wasn't sure if it was sufficient. Apparently it was and is not my problem.

HEY, dont play your music anymore unitl you fix this or you run the risk of grounding your rca's and fring the channels of your amp.

You have a loose rca somwhere. FIND IT

HEY, dont play your music anymore unitl you fix this or you run the risk of grounding your rca's and fring the channels of your amp.
You have a loose rca somwhere. FIND IT
my mistake, thought you were running higher end.

in that case azbass is on point,

Uhm, one time this mexican in a van had noise when his volume got to a certain point. Turned out he used those wire twist caps for home 120V electric connection to conect his wires together. After he redid the connections with crimp connecters, the noise went away. I asked a proffesional why it made noise past the volume limit and he said because the connection was probably so bad that the current demand of the deck couldent pass through the weak connection, so the deck was starved of power and made distortion of some kind. Never really understood it myself.

Well, there was no wiring harness adapter for my car because of its age. So I found some narrow blade-style male crimp connectors that would slide into the factory female harness plug. For the speakers I used standard blade-style male crimp connectors to plug into the factory female harness plug and soldered the other end to the speaker terminals.

I will also be changing my rear speakers from 6822cf to 6812cf, because the factory box was incorrect marked 4 ohm. However, the problem existed prior to installing these speakers.

You know I have never had this problem before, and it's quite frustrating. This system may not be audiophile quality, but it isn't junk either and it should work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.