Starting from stock

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hitter85456

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys. I'm new here. I came here just to solely learn and hopefully complete an install in my 2000 gmc sierra ext cab. I'm gonna ask a sht pot of questions. Hopefully yall would be kind enough to guide me through. First, I'd like to have a fitted box under the back rear seat. What would you prefer, forward firing or downward? I'm sure the mounting depth may be an issue. I want a system that's gonna bump pretty hard but I have no interest in blowing the windows out. I plan on replacing the door speakers to something better but I'm probably not gonna power them with an amp. So, now for the real questions I have. What are some good 10 or 12 inch subs that wont break the bank? Im interested in a 2000 watt amp. How does the RMS and ohms work with maps and subs? I'd like to use 2 ohm if possible so how would this be wired? When I see subs that has 300 RMS and 2 ohm each what kind of amp would I look for to suffice to this? How would it be wired. These numbers are just an example. All I need to know is the layman terms of these equations, and put into practice. For example, 2000 watt amp 2ohm 2 channel. 2 subs with 300 rms each 2 ohm. How would that be wired to get the best quality and bass? Does RMS equal to x amount of watts on amp? I have no idea. What is the impedance? How does all of this work? I'd like to be shown an example of a system with the breakdown and explanation of the install. Thank you guys. I know I'm asking alot

This is hard to read but i'll try.

Fire forward. Port to the side.

Good subwoofers that won't break the bank depends on your bank. What is your budget?

You want a monoblock amp for subwoofers. A single channel.

Here is a subwoofer wiring calculator for you.

Say you do two 8" subwoofers under your rear seat. I would probably buy two Sundown X8s with dual 4 ohm voice coils. That way I could wire them in parallel to a 1 ohm load as most amps do the most power at a 1 ohm load. I would match them to a Taramps MD3000 amp.

It depends on what amps you are looking at if they actually do their rated power. Alot of amp manufactures lie about the power their amps put out. You just have to do some research or ask on here and we will be able to tell you from experience, reputation, and amp specs if it actually does its rated power.

Sorry about the random talking. What do u mean by paralleling them? How does that wiring go? How does paralleling 2 4ohm speakers make 1 ohm? So yoire saying that you'd wire both speakers together and hook them to a monoblock 3000 watt amp? So would that mean each speaker would be 1500 watts each?

Yes. I posted a link that gives you subwoofer wiring diagrams.

They would not be seeing 1500rms each. Impedance rise and voltage drop play a big role in how much power you will actually see. I like to have double the subwoofer RMS rating in amp power to combat impedance rise plus headroom is always a good thing.

It's a calculator. You have to enter what you are trying to calculate.
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.57.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 1.57.47 AM.png

Excellent information. Thank you so much. So u mentioned, port to the side. You mean the hole, right? I've been looking for a sub box and found one in Ebay. I dont think they are ported. Should I do this myself? If so, what and how would you do it? Is there any good sites that have a selection of sub boxes? Besides Crutchfield

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.