Starting from scratch

Participant count
  • Participant list

rsrguy

CarAudio.com Recruit
Greetings from the newb!
I don't have a thing I this old porsche except dated 80's Sony stuff.
I'll be installing whatever single DIN HU I get In a modified glove box enclosure (built from scratch)

I love SQ and listen to

Classic and yacht rock
Some metal
Blues and blues rock
Reggae / Ska
EDM
Classical.... love the cello.
Jazz and big band, les Brown, Jack Bennie & Glenn Miller!

I'll be using the HU as a stand alone until I can afford a suitable dsp amp.

I'd like the big dog multiple dac/dsp Sony, but it's just too much to bite off now.

What I'm hoping to find is a mechless, with dsp and some decent power with as many pre-outs as possible.
Some of what I'm seeing, what others am I missing?
DSX-GS80
DEH-80PRS (CD I know)

What I'm hoping for is something with dsp and dac
Do you get $150 more worth of SQ from the pioneer?

I know it's all about compromise, problem is, I don't have a knowledge base to know WHERE to compromise.

I'm also interested in bass enhanced equipment as well but that's probably another thread all together.
Thanks in advance,
Guy

Attachments

• Ducktail.jpg
    Ducktail.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Greetings from the newb!
I don't have a thing I this old porsche except dated 80's Sony stuff.
I'll be installing whatever single DIN HU I get In a modified glove box enclosure (built from scratch)

I love SQ and listen to

Classic and yacht rock
Some metal
Blues and blues rock
Reggae / Ska
EDM
Classical.... love the cello.
Jazz and big band, les Brown, Jack Bennie & Glenn Miller!

I'll be using the HU as a stand alone until I can afford a suitable dsp amp.

I'd like the big dog multiple dac/dsp Sony, but it's just too much to bite off now.

What I'm hoping to find is a mechless, with dsp and some decent power with as many pre-outs as possible.
Some of what I'm seeing, what others am I missing?
DSX-GS80
DEH-80PRS (CD I know)

What I'm hoping for is something with dsp and dac
Do you get $150 more worth of SQ from the pioneer?

I know it's all about compromise, problem is, I don't have a knowledge base to know WHERE to compromise.

I'm also interested in bass enhanced equipment as well but that's probably another thread all together.
Thanks in advance,
Guy
dayton dsp is 150 dollars. Bluetooth dongle is 30 dollars. Stream straight from your phone to the dsp and the dsp acts as your head unit. Far superior to the 80 prs in audio tuning capabilities, you can have results like the big dawgs for half the price of an 80 prs basically.

Jeff please excuse the ignorance here.
I already have a head unit to use for now, as I need hands free... It isn't the pioneer with dsp but it should work out fine, it has 3 pairs of rca output at 4 or 5 volts.
With signal from the HU, to the dsp, and only two channels of input on the dsp, would the proper setup be to attach my unity dash speakers, tweets & mids, to one set of inputs, and bass on the other?
Is the idea to split the output to the unity, tweets and mids in the dsp for separation at the output rca jack's?
Where should I plan on placement of the Ra or other bass enhancer?

Jeff please excuse the ignorance here.
I already have a head unit to use for now, as I need hands free... It isn't the pioneer with dsp but it should work out fine, it has 3 pairs of rca output at 4 or 5 volts.
With signal from the HU, to the dsp, and only two channels of input on the dsp, would the proper setup be to attach my unity dash speakers, tweets & mids, to one set of inputs, and bass on the other?
Is the idea to split the output to the unity, tweets and mids in the dsp for separation at the output rca jack's?
Where should I plan on placement of the Ra or other bass enhancer?
dont use any bass enhancer all you need to do is to have the right gain levels and the dayton dsp has 6 presets that you can switch over to at any time, one for bass heavy music, one for really light bass music with different sub levels.

if you already have the head unit, you just need one pair of RCAs(all crossovers turned off on standard mode) to the dayton dsp and it will do everything you need it to do. All mids midbass tweeters and subs can be ran on it.

Jeeze you've got to be joking, it really works that well.... from 1 pair of rca's AND it recreates bass for less than $200.
Does it mater that it only has a 10 band that eq (compared to 30+on others)
How hard is it to tune well?

Jeeze you've got to be joking, it really works that well.... from 1 pair of rca's AND it recreates bass for less than $200.
Does it mater that it only has a 10 band that eq (compared to 30+on others)
How hard is it to tune well?
Its 10 band for each channel left and right and has 8 channels. You have 10 for your tweeters, 10 for your midbass, 10 midrange or rears, 10 for your sub. More like 40 bands in practice, all parametric EQ with Q factor so its not lacking at all in the EQ side. They just dont parade the actual 40(or 80 bands if you count independent left and right) bands like other brands. The rockford dsr1 has 31 bands but that's total for all channels and it costs more than they dayton but the dayton is far more stable software wise.

Just download the dayton app and play around with the tuning settings to see yourself how easy it is to tune.

Its 10 band for each channel left and right and has 8 channels. You have 10 for your tweeters, 10 for your midbass, 10 midrange or rears, 10 for your sub. More like 40 bands in practice, all parametric EQ with Q factor so its not lacking at all in the EQ side. They just dont parade the actual 40(or 80 bands if you count independent left and right) bands like other brands. The rockford dsr1 has 31 bands but that's total for all channels and it costs more than they dayton but the dayton is far more stable software wise.

Just download the dayton app and play around with the tuning settings to see yourself how easy it is to tune.

Thanks Jeff I'll do that during my off time tomorrow. Incidentally what are you using for amps with this and how?

Thanks Jeff I'll do that during my off time tomorrow. Incidentally what are you using for amps with this and how?
I have two pioneer gm8604 amps one is at 2 ohms bridged to my midbass connected to rca output channels 5 and 6 on the dsp. The other pioneer is at 4 ohms bridged on my midrange on channel 3 and 4. My PPI phantom 2 channel is for the tweets 1 and 2 of the dsp. My two 15k amps are connected to the head unit rca output since i like having the sub level control on the head unit.

Don't you end up with timing and tuning issues when you supply your subs from the head and isolate it from the dsp?
Are you running the subs from the head on a x-over?

Don't you end up with timing and tuning issues when you supply your subs from the head and isolate it from the dsp?
Are you running the subs from the head on a x-over?
you can use the 80 prs time alignment and crossovers for that plus my sub's are in a B pillar wall, I dont have the typical time alignment issues as everyone else having the bass in the trunk or hatch reflecting off the rear. Walled setups are MUCH more accurate in terms of timing than typical box setups.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.