Stand by your product

Joshua Phillips

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I bought a 12in 2500 watt max gothic series earlier this week it sounded great for like 2 days and then took a crap on me..
no movement to the speaker yep it fried.. or it was blown after 2 days it says rated for 2500 watts but I only got a 1000 wat jl audio amp so it should have qitj stood what was being pushed... So I figured maybe it was just a faulty speaker hmmm no problem and then I went and exchanged it for another one hmmm it didn't make it a day before it to is fried. Ok sooo 1 faulty speaker cool no problem but 2 now c-mon if I wanted to buy crap I'd have bought the cheapest speaker I could find. And I have sent 2 messages to the contact us part of the power acoustic site and have yet to get a response... ya know whith this company being around for as long as it has you'd figure they would stand by there product but I have not yet heard from them soooo yeah a bit dissatisfied with the brand thus far

a bit dissatisfied with the brand thus far
Power Acoustik is not really known for being a top quality brand. That being said, 1000 watts can burn out even a quality sub. You may be clipping the subs by having the gain set incorrect or by starving the amp. Too big of a box can also damage a sub, so it is not fair to say that failure was caused by lack of quality control by a company.
Would you post the specifics of your setup? There may be something you overlooked.

That 2500 watt sub has a 1200 watt RMS on it.
If your running 1000 watts right out of the box to it then that might be your problem.
A company like Power Acoustic might be a little generous with it figures so you might want to "break it in" before you run big power into it but obviously the sub cant handle the power your running into it so dial back the final load
Not sure which amp from JL your running but some of them give there specs at 2ohms
So your DVC 2ohm sub is pulling 1ohm from it which it ,ight stay stable at for a while but it means you could be putting a lot more that 1000 watts into the sub
The box is actually the most important part of it all . Ported? Size?

Give some more details for a better response
Box info
Amp info

Power Acoustik amplifiers generally dyno at about half of the power that they are rated for. ( in other words a P.A. amplifier rated for 2000 watts rms, will make around 1000 watts rms. ). It stands to reason that the subwoofers will be rated the same way. So your 2500 watt max, 1200 watts rms rated subwoofer can probably really handle around 600 watts rms.
So you are driving a 600 watt subwoofer with a 1000 watt amplifier. You can do that, if you are super conservative with the amplifier gain and bass boost settings. You already know what happens if you throw full power to it.

1000 watts can burn out even a quality sub.
I would challenge you to burn up a modern 4" coil "team" subwoofer with a JL 1000/1

want to "break it in" before you run big power into it
Can you explain what sort of "break in" ritual you would perform to make a 2.5" coil subwoofer hold 1000W continuous power.

your 2500 watt max, 1200 watts rms rated subwoofer can probably really handle around 600 watts rms.
Which is right around where an honest company would power rate a 2.5" coil sub, 600-700W.

In summation, Power Akoustic products may function OK but brands like that are lying through their teeth about power ratings.

Really I would be hard pressed to believe that any but a few subwoofers on the market would really hang with 2500W continuous but there's a reason Fi, DC, Sundown, and similar charge 1000$ and up for a 2000W subwoofer and those flea market brands charge 150$ (spoiler alert: It isn't because those companies are just greedy.)

I would challenge you to burn up a modern 4" coil "team" subwoofer with a JL 1000/1
When one answers a thread in regards to a poster's gear, it is generally understood that comparisons are of similar gear.
If the thread would have been the opposite, OP claims his sub can handle those 1000 watts while it makes itself a sandwich. Would you have chimed in saying, "I challenge you to not burn up a JL Audio 12w0 on those 1000 watts." Of course not, it is just too big a disparity between those two products.

JL amps are really good, id get 1 of these...

Last edited:
Alpha is 1,000 watts RMS and can be bought in Single 4 ohm, 2 ohm and 1 ohm iirc.

The Fi X is the new 1,500 watt subwoofer which is the Xv4 basically as they got rid of the SSD line.

I am upgrading from a set of Fi Xv3's to either that Fi X or the Cab Ultra Custom which is out now in V2 with a ton of options.

So I could only find that sub as a DVC 2ohm sub, (2500w that you bought for $100). It should be wired up as 1ohm, and I don't think JL audio makes a 1ohm 1000w amp. (@ 2ohms, yes, but I don't think their amps do 1 ohm).
Of course you don't want to hear it, but the more likely scenario is you wired it up wrong.

Which Jl audio amp is that?
How is it wired?

Last edited:
Conservative power for a month.
This is similar logic to the idea that if you shoot yourself with a bb gun you can work your way up and eventually be immune to 00 buckshot. I promise you, there's no magic ritual you're going to perform over a 2.5" coil that will make it hang with 1000W continuous thermal power ever.

the more likely scenario is you wired it up wrong.
He didn't blow up his amp, he melted the coil.

This is similar logic to the idea that if you shoot yourself with a bb gun you can work your way up and eventually be immune to 00 buckshot. I promise you, there's no magic ritual you're going to perform over a 2.5" coil that will make it hang with 1000W continuous thermal power ever.
Touche'. I do see your point.

He didn't blow up his amp, he melted the coil.
We don't know that and neither does OP.

This setup doesn't make sense to me. That's about the cheapest high powered (number on the box) sub you can find. Then puts it on a JL audio amp, ( and I feel pretty confident they don't make a 1 ohm capable amp). I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they wired it to 4 ohms on a few hundred watts and blew the speaker. I'm trying to hold back my negative expectations for how I think this went and will go when/if we get more details.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...