SSA Icon vs ARC Audio Flatline vs IDMAX vs Arc Black Series

Mixman
Premium Member

Premium Member
I have a JBL 12 GTi It sounds great, but before deciding it's the best for me I want to get one of the above subs in 12 inches to compare to the JBL. I am looking for the best as far a SQ with a JL 500/1 and a box from 1.1-1.25 sealed. I do want a little SPL because my trunk it quite isolated and I need to crank a little for the sub to even be heard, but I am mainly looking for SQ here.

So which would work best within my size and power constraints?

^^^ this

the Incriminator Flatlyne would be a very good option. if you're stuck on the ones you listed the idmax or icon would be great too.

It's funny that more people are recommending FI Flatlyne more that the SSA Icon. Could it be because there are more Flatlynes than Icons out there?

I see a lot of people are recommending the SPG555. Well that means you have to get a custom cab and that adds to the price of the sub. So even with a blowout price of $269, you have to add another $100 or so for a custom cab......And then you better like it, because that's the only sub it will fit.

I guess it seems my best bets are the IDMAX and the ARC Flatline, unless there are more recommendations?

I have a JBL 12 GTi It sounds great, but before deciding it's the best for me I want to get one of the above subs in 12 inches to compare to the JBL. I am looking for the best as far a SQ with a JL 500/1 and a box from 1.1-1.25 sealed. I do want a little SPL because my trunk it quite isolated and I need to crank a little for the sub to even be heard, but I am mainly looking for SQ here.
So which would work best within my size and power constraints?
before spending that much cash on just another replacement sub to compare to the JBL GTi (which, IMO is a superior sub to the ones you mentioned), you should seriously reconsider getting the best sql possible out of it. Look at the system design, is there any way to modify the rear deck or seating area to allow more air movement to influence the cabin area? Would it be possible to increase the box size to 1.5 cubes and run a ported box using Aero port with a tuning around 34-36hz? If not, look to a 10" sub that can utilize the space you have with a ported box. SQ wise, IMO, a ported enclosure will produce better sound quality than a sealed box while being more efficient. Just by porting alone, you will gain almost twice the SPL output with the sub you have. Just swapping it for one of those others in the same sealed box seems like a major waste of time and $$ for what miniscule changes you may or may not even realize....not to mention just dropping another sub in there under the exact same conditions may produce ill desired effects (less output).

PS, If you are seriously looking at SSA subs, look to the GCON instead of the ICON on that power for a sealed application.

I am getting Pollyfill soon. Don't get me wrong I like the JBL, it's just that I want to try a few subs to see which works best in my situation. I have 1-1.5 cu ft max to work with sealed. I am just trying to find the best sub for that space.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.