SSA Icon 12" worth $100 more than the AQ HDC3 12"?

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
Just as the title states. Is it worth the extra cash to go for the Icon instead of the HDC3?

Going in a 1.9^3ft ported @33hz box that I already have. Looking to push them at around 1000-1200wrms. It will just be a single 12"

I'm also open to other suggestions for 12" around this price point that would do well in that box.

EDIT: Not going any higher in price than I could get the SSA Icon for (on sale for $303.63).

no its not really but the aq needs a bigger box than u have....take the extra 100 and get a box built for the aq ..easy math man
That's a good idea. You really think I can have one built for $100?

Build one don't be lazy it's easy.
yee, build one! If you dont have access to a table saw to make the cuts as close to perfect angles as possible, have them cut the wood where you buy it(loses/home depot have those big *** table like saws) and they do it for free too!

yee, build one! If you dont have access to a table saw to make the cuts as close to perfect angles as possible, have them cut the wood where you buy it(loses/home depot have those big *** table like saws) and they do it for free too!
is there a box building tutorial somewhere I can read?

Id typically recommend building your own but if your gonna be keeping it for an extended period id go with paying someone to build it, @double07 ; Would be a good person to have one built. Also id recommend the Icon.

That's a good idea. You really think I can have one built for $100?
I would suggest the Icon over the AQ to be honest. I have more hands on experience with AQ then most (worked for them and built 100's of enclosures for clients as well as several full AQ installs over the years, most rather large builds). They are a decent sub for the price sure, but the Icon is in a different league all together then the AQ.

As for enclosures, from us you would be looking at about $150 shipped for an enclosure for the AQ or SSA.

if your working with 1000w and 1.9 cubes you could save some money and just get a SA12. that is if yor box is properly built and a correct port.

I would suggest the Icon over the AQ to be honest. I have more hands on experience with AQ then most (worked for them and built 100's of enclosures for clients as well as several full AQ installs over the years, most rather large builds). They are a decent sub for the price sure, but the Icon is in a different league all together then the AQ.
As for enclosures, from us you would be looking at about $150 shipped for an enclosure for the AQ or SSA.
That's an appealing price. Do you know how the SQ on the Icon is? Of course I want it to hit hard, but I also want it to sound good.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

if your working with 1000w and 1.9 cubes you could save some money and just get a SA12. that is if yor box is properly built and a correct port.
I'm thinking about a new box now actually.

That's an appealing price. Do you know how the SQ on the Icon is? Of course I want it to hit hard, but I also want it to sound good. 

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

I'm thinking about a new box now actually.
sq on the icon is gona be better than the aq

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

not that the hdc3 sounds bad at all

sq on the icon is gona be better than the aq 

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

not that the hdc3 sounds bad at all
I want this to be the end of my substage buying. I want a one-and-done type of deal. It will go with me to my next car whenever that happens.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.