SPL vs Compact Build

Meh ive tuned sundown from 29-38 and had no issues at all in the right box ..that being said i have done the same with all the soundqubed subs ive ran
None usually have issues to be honest, but soundqubed subs just arent low end monsters.

Ive got 4 soundqubed hdc3 18's on 5k watts hitting as low as 21hz & up to 48hz with no issues.

Just sundown subs really can make low end violent, especially with the bigger roll surround.

Yeah, I may or may not have spaced when I typed tantric, I meant the soundqubed hds310. How's the SQL with those?

And believe me, I know those Polks are little toys. I paid less than a hundred for both of them combined. I was just a bit skeptical of two sundown tens breaking 140db. I've heard it done a bunch of times with other tens, even into the mid 150's. I just didn't realize they threw down that hard with the e series.

I need to graph the response curve on those sundowns. I tend to like lower tuning on ported boxes anyways.

That's about where I'm at right now. Debating between two e10 v2s or one SA15.
The space requirements differ.

If you go to the 15 then you need to up the power a bit to compensate for the space.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

The space requirements differ.
If you go to the 15 then you need to up the power a bit to compensate for the space.

You think a bit over 1000w for one SA15 d2 wouldn't quite cut it?

Space wise I'm going no bigger than 3.5 cubes. Not sure if that'll really be enough for the 15 to really breath, but I didn't want to cut out the option just yet.

You think a bit over 1000w for one SA15 d2 wouldn't quite cut it?
Space wise I'm going no bigger than 3.5 cubes. Not sure if that'll really be enough for the 15 to really breath, but I didn't want to cut out the option just yet.
Sorry! Didnt even bother seeing how much space you had.

3.5cubes on 1k alone would be fine.

Okay, so I talked to my computer / audio engineer buddy and got a chance to draw up a couple of response graphs in WinISD. I really liked the response curve I got out of two Sundown E12's in a 3.2 ft^3 box at 32hz. After the port the box would be 3.5 which is right at my limit. I liked it a lot more than the curve I was seeing with a single E15 in a similar box and it keeps in my budget of the mid to high 200's for subs alone.

How's the sound quality with Sundown's stuff? I've read one guy that said the SD series was very "articulate" in a 1 ft^3 sealed box and others that call them one note wonders. I like very even playing systems, which to me has a lot to do with the box design.

I'm coming from a Polk MM or JL W3 / W6 for my reference to SQ systems. Both of those sound incredibly clean done right. Alternate sub choices for me are Dayton HO's (maybe) or Image Dynamics IDQ 12's v4. Where do these Sundown's sit in that line?

As a side note, my buddy was telling me that it might be worth designing my box to be built around my wheel well inside the back with the subs down firing and a side firing port to help economize space. Thoughts? I've never down down firing in a vehicle before.

Okay, so I talked to my computer / audio engineer buddy and got a chance to draw up a couple of response graphs in WinISD. I really liked the response curve I got out of two Sundown E12's in a 3.2 ft^3 box at 32hz. After the port the box would be 3.5 which is right at my limit. I liked it a lot more than the curve I was seeing with a single E15 in a similar box and it keeps in my budget of the mid to high 200's for subs alone.
How's the sound quality with Sundown's stuff? I've read one guy that said the SD series was very "articulate" in a 1 ft^3 sealed box and others that call them one note wonders. I like very even playing systems, which to me has a lot to do with the box design.

I'm coming from a Polk MM or JL W3 / W6 for my reference to SQ systems. Both of those sound incredibly clean done right. Alternate sub choices for me are Dayton HO's (maybe) or Image Dynamics IDQ 12's v4. Where do these Sundown's sit in that line?

As a side note, my buddy was telling me that it might be worth designing my box to be built around my wheel well inside the back with the subs down firing and a side firing port to help economize space. Thoughts? I've never down down firing in a vehicle before.
Are you looking into deep throaty bass or just very clean nice bass?

A bit of both to be honest. I like deep, low extension on my subs. I built my last system entirely around that goal, which is why the giant box and low port tune for two twelves. But, I know that if you do it right, you can get both low extension and clarity.

I did a whole lot of review reading and box modeling and I'm settling on two Sundown SA 12's for my system.

I'm looking at running them with the PPI BA5000.1 to run about 1.4 to 2k RMS to them in a ~2.9 ft^3 box (after port and driver displacement) tuned to somewhere around 29 to 31 hz. I haven't quite decided where I want the response curve to sit yet.

I have a stock alt and haven't done the big 3 plus I'm pulling another ~250w RMS for my mids and highs. What all should I do to handle that kind if power draw? Or would I be good, but right on the limit?

I did a whole lot of review reading and box modeling and I'm settling on two Sundown SA 12's for my system.
I'm looking at running them with the PPI BA5000.1 to run about 1.4 to 2k RMS to them in a ~2.9 ft^3 box (after port and driver displacement) tuned to somewhere around 29 to 31 hz. I haven't quite decided where I want the response curve to sit yet.

I have a stock alt and haven't done the big 3 plus I'm pulling another ~250w RMS for my mids and highs. What all should I do to handle that kind if power draw? Or would I be good, but right on the limit?
Way to small a box, way to ****** a amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.