SPL and Termlab :O

Participant count
  • Participant list

H_L

Anyone have any experience with Termlab?
I was thinking of getting one for my car build plus I should be able to use it elsewhere right? like random things like concerts and hifi speakers out of curiosity?? will that work? I have heard that the Termlab only goes down to 120db is that correct?
Also what weighting does it measure A? C? both?
Cheers guys

here.jpg

I have heard that the Termlab only goes down to 120db is that correct?

You would need to buy additional hardware for RTA (full audio frequency spectrum and <120dB). These pressure sensor types that we use in DB Drag type competitions only work below 100hz and are designed to measure very high sound pressure (up beyond 180dB). RTA is what you'd be after for dialing in your home theater or live music venue. If you're just measuring noise floor in a factory for OSHA or whatever there's cheaper SPL meters that should be accurate for that sort up thing below 120dB as well.

The other thing with termlab is you will need a PC to use it. I sold mine several years ago when SPL Lab came out with their bluetooth sensor that all you need is Android tablet or phone to operate. I believe they also make RTA sensor (sold separately). SSA also has pressure sensors that are likely good quality, not sure what options they have though.

Otherwise, Termlab is a high quality measuring device and it is the standard used by the big competition organizations. Not cheap, but definitely not a toy.

Thanks so much for your replies :)
I wanted it mainly for my car setup so high db reading is needed and I thought I could use it for other random measurements too like concerts and stuff as I'm a sound guy haha. I'll be getting an RTA also. Using a pc with it like it does doesn't really worry me as I don't need it that portable.
what does the termlab measure in? dba? dbc? just curious

what does the termlab measure in? dba? dbc? just curious
Just dB SPL. I don't think there's multiple types.

Looks like SPL Lab also sells an RTA sensor for about the same price as the Termlab RTA. I'd vouch for their bass meter being close enough to get a good idea if you're just doing your own testing.

The power clamp display on Termlab is nice, and they've got the software suite if you want to host competitions, otherwise the SPL Lab equipment should be about on par as far as accuracy and may save you a few hundred bucks. If money isn't an issue the Termlab is definitely the standard of all the serious competition orgs so may as well go with that.

Very "basically" the main weightings are: dba, dbc and dbz
dba more corresponds to the human hearing and cuts out what we don't hear.
dbc is more for loud noises as it doesn't cut all of the highs and lows out.
dbz as far as I know is a raw measurement so it doesn't cut any frequencies out.
So I'm assuming the term lab uses dbz weighting but it would be so good to know!!

Thanks hisple it is a toss up between the two that's why I'm gathering information so I can decide

Very "basically" the main weightings are: dba, dbc and dbz
dba more corresponds to the human hearing and cuts out what we don't hear.
dbc is more for loud noises as it doesn't cut all of the highs and lows out.
dbz as far as I know is a raw measurement so it doesn't cut any frequencies out.
So I'm assuming the term lab uses dbz weighting but it would be so good to know!!

Thanks hisple it is a toss up between the two that's why I'm gathering information so I can decide
So just what frequencies you measure? Again RTA is 20-20,000hz but only up to 130dB on termlab (supposedly up to 155 on SPL Lab's RTA) and SPL mode only does <100hz or so. People do meter below 20hz so I know the bass/pressure sensor goes down to anything we can realistically do with loudspeakers.
For anything involving music either product should get you where you're trying to go.

well I'll be using it in may car so for the subs obvisuly 100 hz and below
and for measuring concerts so RTA would be great too 20-20k
It would be great if I could double up and use it for an official measurement for the authorities but they require a dbA or sometimes a dbC measurement
Thanks

It would be great if I could double up and use it for an official measurement for the authorities but they require a dbA or sometimes a dbC measurement
Might just email Termlab site and see if they have an answer for that one. RTA feature should be very accurate for such purpose, though I suspect if it's OSHA/factory type setting you have to go by whatever meter the inspector uses at the time and if it's just municipal noise ordinance I doubt your local LEA has anything at all but such decisions are purely subjective.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.