speakers wont fit, what to do?

zachzchw
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
ohio
Okay, went and got 1" spacers today to put the RE comps in. Thing is, they still wont fit (1997 bravada). I can add about a 1/8" spacer on top of the 1", but then the door panel wont go back on. The only option I know of is to cut the door panel where the speaker would be, but Id really like to avoid that if possible. Anyone have any more suggestions as to what I should try?

What does the speaker hit? The stock mounting bracket? With an extra 1 inch of clearance I find it hard to believe a speaker like the RE won't fit...

What does the speaker hit? The stock mounting bracket? With an extra 1 inch of clearance I find it hard to believe a speaker like the RE won't fit...
Theres a bar inside the door, I assume its part of the power window assembly. May be hard to believe, but it doesnt fit.

Jmac, wish I would have measured before I bought. I didnt think there would be this much of a difference between the stock speakers and the RE set.

So, any suggestions, other than the kickpanels? I dont know how to make them, and would rather not pay upwards of $100 for them. Im thinking I might have to get rid of these, and get shallower components, but Im not even sure what I should look for instead.

well he could always cut the door panels

The way the door panels are, there is a speaker grill type thing built in. Im thinking I can cut that out, and use the grills supplied with the speakers, and if/when I sell it, just put the stock grill back on with glue or something. Sound like a decent plan??

look on the INSIDE of the doorpanel. lots of times, there are plastic "cross bar" kinda things that will re-inforce the ABS plastic. see if you cant cut away any acess crap from the inside of the door panel.

if that fails. you might be able to put a SHIM under the rim of the door where all the crap is mounted (given the speaker is in the bottom corner like mine) you could shim the 'non seen' corner of the door and get another 1\8" of clearance. hell, maybe if you SHUV the door back on, it will actually fit. you MIGHT have to trim the basket of the speaker down or somthing. look at ALL alternatives.

get a couple of washers and space out the window bar- i had that same problem in my old sonoma. what is the mounting depth of your speakers and door?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.