Speakers stopped, subs still work.

Participant count
  • Participant list

jersbo
10+ year member

Alright well today I was driving to the store and all of the sudden my 6x9's and my 6.5's stopped producing sound, and has been dead ever since. My subs in the back still work, and yes they are connected to an amp (Pioneer 760)...

My HU still turns on and acts as if it is playing fine.... One thing im curious about is I remember changing the Subwoofer output from 80hz to 125hz on my HU a few days earlier...

Could the HU still turn on if it had a blown fuse?.. I have a pioneer DEH-p4400..

I am almost positive the speakers aren't blown/dead, what could be the problem...

Please help, i've tried lots of things.. Running out of ideas.

If the speakers are running on your HU you will want to check there wires. A grounded speaker wire will cut out the HU's internal amp. Worse case scenario is the internal amp in your head unit went out.

If the speakers are running on your HU you will want to check there wires. A grounded speaker wire will cut out the HU's internal amp.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

Happened to a buddies stereo. 6x9 wires came loose and were touching metal, which caused the HU's internal amp to cut out. Reconnected the wires, and he was good to go again.

Man, I am somewhat new to all this car audio stuff, but ****... I just spent two hours dicking around with it.

First I hooked up an old set of 6x9's to my amp, and the only thing that came out was bass.

Then I tore out my HU and looked for anything suspicious, there was.. The ground cable wasn't "plugged in" all the way, so i made sure that was put back in.... Then a funny thing happened... My main 6.5's and 6x9's did nothing, but the 6x9's I hooked up to my amp were now producing treble (I could hear the actual music), but it didn't sound good...

I tried smelling my HU to see if I could pick up any burnt smell and nothing...

I'm thinking I am going to ask a buddy for one of his old HU's and see if that works... GRRR Why did this happen to me now.. I'm supposed to leave in about 5 hours for a road trip out to my buddies shack... I can't stand having no music.

Your going to have to start testing one thing at a time.

Insure all speakers are connected properlly and securelly. Make sure all speaker wires are free from breaks. Insure power and ground wires are conected. Then check your EQ settings. Make sure everything is not faded or muted.

If you still can not find the problem, take it to a shop.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.