Speakers make loud screeching/whining noise, only when car is running?

Austinramsay

Yuma
Just finished installing 2 amps, a sub, and 2 speakers in my crx si. I just took everything out of my rx7 and swapped it into here, so i know everything works fine. The only thing different is i got a new head unit for the crx. Anyways, everything sounds good when the ignition is on. Loud and clear, zero noise. Thought everything was good so i put the car back together, and once i started it it just made a loud screeching or whining noise from the speakers. Couldnt hear any music playing. Changing the volume on the head unit doesnt do anything. Turned the car off and turned the ignition on again, and it sounds fine. But does the same thing once i start it and it doesnt stop. Any ideas?

Sounds like bad grounding. I Dont know what kind of frame your vehicle has but if it had a chassis ground there. Disconnect rcas from amplifiers and see if the noise still persists. If it does you have bad grounding. If noise goes away when you disconnect RCA's, track back RCA's and run them about 12" away the positive runs that power your amps.

This is getting really annoying-_- ive checked and tried every ground and connection possible. My rca's are on the other side of the power wire. I dont think the rca's are bad because everything sounds great if just the ignition is on. Ive tried grounding the amp and head unit to the same ground and it doesnt change anything. Tried grounding rca's doesnt do anything. Wtf.. Ive seriously spent hours on this. Any ideas?:/

Retrace the speaker wires all the way from the amp to the speakers and see if there is any pinch in the wire that could be grounding on metal. You could also try a new set of rca's, just to rule them out. Just run them from the Hu to the amp over everything (without tucking them under).Troubleshooting really ***** sometimes.

Retrace the speaker wires all the way from the amp to the speakers and see if there is any pinch in the wire that could be grounding on metal. You could also try a new set of rca's, just to rule them out. Just run them from the Hu to the amp over everything (without tucking them under).Troubleshooting really ***** sometimes.
Alright I'll check that too I guess. Really don't want to pull the carpet and stuff back up but I guess i have no choice. Yeah it seriously does. I have no idea what else could be wrong. I'm sure the amps are fine, this entire setup was working fine in my other car, but once I moved them into this car this started happening. The only change in setup is this new head unit that was installed the same time I put the rest of the system in.

Is it through all speakers and sub. And is it a constant sound that u can't turn down and if u unplug an rcas does it go away from that speaker channel try each on individually and that will let u know if it's a certain speaker problem

Is it through all speakers and sub. And is it a constant sound that u can't turn down and if u unplug an rcas does it go away from that speaker channel try each on individually and that will let u know if it's a certain speaker problem
I dont think the sub will play it since its such a high freq. yeah its constant, doesnt matter if the stereo is all the way up or down. I can hear my start hearing my music over it if i turn the volume up all the way but the noise is still louder than the music even all the way up. Yeah if i unplug the rca's all noise stops and its quiet. But once i barely even start plugging it in it starts screaming again

Do the ipod (or phone, mp3 player) test, get a 3.5mm to rca and plug it directly into the amp and see what you get. If the noise is gone, it's either your rca's or the hu. Is it a Pioneer hu?

I dont think the sub will play it since its such a high freq. yeah its constant, doesnt matter if the stereo is all the way up or down. I can hear my start hearing my music over it if i turn the volume up all the way but the noise is still louder than the music even all the way up. Yeah if i unplug the rca's all noise stops and its quiet. But once i barely even start plugging it in it starts screaming again
i would try to replace the RCA's also if u unplug RCA's and plug in one at a time, does it still make the noise?

Do the ipod (or phone, mp3 player) test, get a 3.5mm to rca and plug it directly into the amp and see what you get. If the noise is gone, it's either your rca's or the hu. Is it a Pioneer hu?
Okay cool ill try that. **** thats the 2nd time ive been asked if its a pioneer.. Guess im not going with another pioneer again ha! But yeah its a brand new x3600ui.

i would try to replace the RCA's also if u unplug RCA's and plug in one at a time, does it still make the noise?
Yep even one at a time it does

With Pioneer you cannot plug and unplug rca's with the Hu on, you end up blowing a Pico fuse (located inside the hu). It will cause the issues you've described. You'll need to replace it (about 1.50) at radio shack or take it to a shop that usually charges about 50.00 to replace it. I would go have it checked to see if that's what needs to fix the issue. I learned the hard way also, but it's an easy fix.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.