Speakers Get Fuzzy at High Volumes

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello!

A few months ago, my car stereo system was working perfectly fine. I had 2 Pioneer TS-G1310 speakers hooked up to a Pioneer DEH-1600 Deck. Everything worked fine. The speakers were 80 watt max music power and 25 watt nominal power, with 4 impedance, not sure if they were 2 ways or 3 ways. Then, one day my speakers stopped working properly. If I would turn the volume on my radio above about "18" the speakers would get fuzzy, the fuzziness increasing as I turned the volume higher. Pretty much the only thing I had listened to was talk radio, but the speakers were old so I figured I had blown them. To replace them, I got a pair of Pyle PL53BL speakers. These ones have 200 watt max power and 100 watt RMS, and are three-way triaxials. I really dont know what these wattages mean, so I just got those ones being I felt they were a good deal on Amazon. After installing the new speakers, using the existing wiring setup, I still had the exact same problem. It seemed that nothing had changed. If I turn up the bass, or switch around the deck settings to "super bass" or "powerful" the fuzziness gets worse. I tried wiggling the batteries around in the rear of the deck, and re-crimped the connectors holding the wires in the rear of the deck together. What do ya'll think could be the problem? Could the new speakers that I got be damaged? Ground issue? How can I find out?

1st, you should research next time before buying speakers.

Anyway, you're likely clipping them by having everything on eq up, or too high of volume on the headunit or they aren't crossed over and trying to play below what they can. Otheriwse, check the ground wires and whatnot. I'd look into a small amp and run them off that if I were you. You'll likely have poor performance off the head unit, esp. with low sensitivity and not so great speakers.

"Fuzzy" is kinda ambiguous. It could be either the speakers themselves (Pyle = ick) or they could be buzzing in their mounts. Check that the speakers are mounted solidly and that there's nothing touching any part of the cones like the grilles.

If what you hear is like a wet fart, it could be humidity on the speaker terminals and wire, solder, schwrink wrap or tape those spade terminals after they are tight.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.