Speakers for 2010 Camry?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Some of the kits I was looking at only filtered the tweeters with an in-line crossover, in fact most of the less expensive ones do. The inline filters are easy to tuck away. I think I saw somewhere that the woofers have built in filters on these sets. The OEM drivers didn't filter the woofer, just the tweeters where it was a cap on the back of the tweeter.

For the passenger side I'm going to do all the prep in advance now that I know what to expect. Part of what took so long is going up and down to the basement to get a tool, set it up, etc... All the tools are now in place to just do it.

I’m going to do the other one tomorrow. I’ll get it all prepped in advance This time since I now know what I’m doing.

Yes, take your time and you should be fine. Once you do one side, the other is generally a mirror image with exception of the window control module and maybe electric mirror controls. Im beyond my 30s, and I can say that I am more prone to detail than the majority within theyre 30s or younger, and I usually take a little more time

That brings me to Crutchfield. When I did my Tesla I didn't buy from them because the price was much higher but now I see why. They provide everything you need to install, brackets, wire harnesses, and full instructions specific to your car.
They're also very good with customer service and support after the sale on the phone. They rarely discount below MSRP over to Crutchfield but you can definitely tell what you're paying for when you call them on the phone for anything. We used to order from them back in the late 80s early 90s when they were a mail order catalog, they've lasted this long for a reason.

Consider JBL lineup is very comparable to Infinity so if you're comparing low, mid, or high tier lines from either they should be around the same performance and price point. Really if you're sticking with trusted brands things should be pretty comparable across the board at the various price tiers. I'm a bit skeptical about what performance gains you'll get after about the 350-400$ price point on component sets and would go as far as to suggest that a 250$ component set + 150$ worth of sound deadening and sealing the mounting location will outperform a 400$ component set just tossed into an untreated factory location. Or turned around, if you're just going to just plug and play into the factory holes definitely don't blow a big wad over "premium" components as you probably won't notice the difference provided you're a notch or two above entry level with whatever brand you're into.

That all said, also check out the closeouts at CDT website. I wouldn't suggest paying MSRP on their stuff but when it hits deep discount it's a fine value and they sell a good quality product.

I just finished up the other side and the one thing that took all the time was figuring out where to put the crossover again. You'd think behind the glove box there'd be room but there are all kinds of electrical connections back there plus the cabin fan and filter. I found a spot where it would fit without the cover so I did that but I had to try it every which way before I found the one that worked. I'm sure an installer would just drill a few holes and be done with it.

It still took 3.5 hours even though I had everything ready to go.

And how does it sound? I'd say it is better than the OEM system but still not all that great to me. Maybe the sound deadening would help, I don't know. It's not my car so I'm not all that familiar with how it sounded before but my daughter definitely thought it was better. Highs are clear, lows are more distinct but I take that for granted in a home audio system. In the end it is still a car with all its inherent acoustic problems.

One other thing to add. When I tested it out I used Qobuz and played hi-res music through a Dragonfly DAC connected to my phone. When my daughter tried it she used Spotify over the same DAC. You could definitely hear the difference between the two sources. Spotify muddies the music. You think it's OK on Spotify until you play the same track in hi-res and it puts back all the aural cues that Spotify strips away.

In the end it is still a car with all its inherent acoustic problems.
This is like 90% of the battle. Had you built a couple small bookshelf cabinets for those components and put them equidistant from you in a nice listening room I'm sure they'd sound fantastic.

My brother's car is an old civic without much room for tucking away crossovers and we just mounted them along the edge of the running boards with some sticky velcro. Most of them look nice enough that you can mount them somewhere that can be seen but are small enough that they're not really obtrusive. Under a seat would have been a better choice if you were just trying to go 100% stealth. You could also do in the glovebox or center console if you didn't use/need that space for much.

My ears are so blown out I doubt I could hear the difference between sources anymore outside of the extreme end.

They'd have looked OK being seen, I just didn't want them out where they'd get kicked. Besides, the supplied wire was only long enough to go so far. I'd have had to run 6 pairs of wires to put them anywhere other than under the dash somewhere. One place they may have fit is in the woofer compartment since I replaced 6x9s with 6.5 round, but that would still have meant running wire. I think a split crossover, not one box, would be easier to place.

Sounds like you got them installed. Its good that the Xovers get some air also. It helps with the heat. Ive had some melt on me with less than the RMS rating (OZ Audio)components. I was a bit upset as they were a real pain to get installed and had to remove to send them back under warranty. I was going to recommend those plastic baffles and forgot too as they are cheap and work well rather than spending quite q bit of funds on Deadner for this vehicle to save some # and get a little bit better performance out of the speakers. I drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom for drainage in case water enters the cavity.

They'd have looked OK being seen, I just didn't want them out where they'd get kicked. Besides, the supplied wire was only long enough to go so far. I'd have had to run 6 pairs of wires to put them anywhere other than under the dash somewhere. One place they may have fit is in the woofer compartment since I replaced 6x9s with 6.5 round, but that would still have meant running wire. I think a split crossover, not one box, would be easier to place.

I would not mount a crossover in a door only to have to run tweeter wire back out to get up to the dash or in that neighborhood. Otherwise stashing them somewhere inside the door is simplest if you can get both components in the door.

Glad this all worked out anyway.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...