Speaker Whine: Help me find the culprit

Supergumby5000
5,000+ posts

Project: F350 begins...
Pullman, WA
It just started happening tonight. I parked at a buddies place, turned my truck off (for about 30 seconds). When i started it back up, all of a sudden i had a pretty bad speaker whine.

I only hear it when the truck is running though. If i run in auxilary mode, there is no whine.

When i turn the ignition over, the whine synchronizes with the starter turning over. When i push on the gas, the whine increases in pitch.

Where do you all think the cause may be?

ground loop/ alt whine. classic symptom. take a dose of re grounding and checking everything and call in the morning............ If you are able to groung EVERYTHING to the batt..... will never have this problem.
thats what i figured, but i thought it could get some secondary advice since im not tearing my truck up at midnight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Everything is battery-to-battery, except that my alternator is grounded both to my battery and to my frame (via mechman instructions. I guess its essentially not necessary). I'll double check that guy, and retighten my connections on the two kinetik 2400's that sit directly in front of the clamshell. hopefully it'l fix my problem.

HU grounded to the same spot as your amps?

Also, since you have a Pioneer, it's common for its internal pico fuse to blow which leads to noise in the preouts. You might have to do the ground-RCA shields-to chassis "fix".

HU grounded to the same spot as your amps?
Also, since you have a Pioneer, it's common for its internal pico fuse to blow which leads to noise in the preouts. You might have to do the ground-RCA shields-to chassis "fix".
HU is on the stock ground.

I was thinking about the pico fuse as well, but on my drive back to school ( a 6 hour drive), i got a bit of whining every now and again (real cold weather, off and one for the whole drive). So, unless a pico fuse can change its mind, im hoping for a ground //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Are your front speakers amped?
If so, my Kicker ZX650,4 I just had caused the whine, it was defective, might check that out
LOL, I guess you never saw his build log //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Most likely a blown pico fuse like others on here have mentioned. Mine blew 3 times before I discovered that the RCA's had to be grounded, which fixed the problem. Pioneer will repair it under warranty, but just grounding the RCA's should get rid of the engine whine.

interesting discovery.

I inspected my batteries, and a ground terminal is loose.

I looked closer, and the WHOLE terminal is loose. The screw is tight, but the metal terminal itself (supposed to be attached to the battery) is spinning //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif Could that be the cause?

Whats getting me is when i turn the truck off, the whining goes away. Maybe a combo of the battery blowing the pico fuse?

interesting discovery.
I inspected my batteries, and a ground terminal is loose.

I looked closer, and the WHOLE terminal is loose. The screw is tight, but the metal terminal itself (supposed to be attached to the battery) is spinning //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif Could that be the cause?

Whats getting me is when i turn the truck off, the whining goes away. Maybe a combo of the battery blowing the pico fuse?
Umm, loose connections are never good... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

First of all get your battery fixed. And what 'terminal' are you talking about? SAE posts? Pic please...

Then do this
PioneerFix.jpg

Also there's a whole Sticky on this common topic - http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198477 Have fun.

HU is on the stock ground.
I was thinking about the pico fuse as well, but on my drive back to school ( a 6 hour drive), i got a bit of whining every now and again (real cold weather, off and one for the whole drive). So, unless a pico fuse can change its mind, im hoping for a ground //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
Change it, solved engine noise issues in a few GM trucks for me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.