Speaker tests low on resistance

Participant count
  • Participant list

West

Banned
Ok so I've had a few problems lately with my set up. The amp shut down and I sent it for repairs. At there shop they can't find anything wrong with it, it turns on and passes all of their tests. The repair place thought that something might be loose inside the amp, but they are not seeing any indication of that.

I have tested the resistance on all the speakers one of the mid range woofers is testing lower then the other I have on the right side. (2.7 ohms vs 3.4 ohms)

Is it probably blown or close to blowing?

What I did before I sent it the amp off...

I tested it with a speaker that I was certain was working (unplugging the rest of the speakers) and hooked my iPhone to the RCA's.

Amp shut down as before...

What do you guys think... bad power/ground connection? (The sub amp I have is working just fine and its split on 0 gauge wire)

I know the amp still has power the power guard lights come after it shuts down.

Any ideas??

Ok so I've had a few problems lately with my set up. The amp shut down and I sent it for repairs. At there shop they can't find anything wrong with it, it turns on and passes all of their tests. The repair place thought that something might be loose inside the amp, but they are not seeing any indication of that.
I have tested the resistance on all the speakers one of the mid range woofers is testing lower then the other I have on the right side. (2.7 ohms vs 3.4 ohms)

Is it probably blown or close to blowing?

What I did before I sent it the amp off...

I tested it with a speaker that I was certain was working (unplugging the rest of the speakers) and hooked my iPhone to the RCA's.

Amp shut down as before...

What do you guys think... bad power/ground connection? (The sub amp I have is working just fine and its split on 0 gauge wire)

I know the amp still has power the power guard lights come after it shuts down.

Any ideas??
have you checked the voltage with a DMM at the power inputs? Is the + wire to the amp fused?

Not sure if this could be a major issue, you said connected Iphone to RCA's, was a cable with the dock port with RCA's used? or did you use the 1/8 headset plug to amp's RCA's? That voltage is different and if a cable or connector is faulty, that could be the difference in resistance between the channels. Just a thought! :)

Not sure if this could be a major issue, you said connected Iphone to RCA's, was a cable with the dock port with RCA's used? or did you use the 1/8 headset plug to amp's RCA's? That voltage is different and if a cable or connector is faulty, that could be the difference in resistance between the channels. Just a thought! :)
That could be...

I used an 1/8 headset/headphone plug to RCA adapter plug (looks like a Y)

That could be...I used an 1/8 headset/headphone plug to RCA adapter plug (looks like a Y)
You need this iPod iPhone Dock Connector Male to 3.5mm Plug Cable MM | eBay

and For only $1.44 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6inch Premium 3.5mm Stereo Female to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black | Premium 3.5mm to RCA Audio Cables

The sound from the dock is digital or good analog converters (not as loud but cleaner) the sound from the ear plug is analog sound with way too much voltage. I had cheap 1/8 cables that fail and one channel degrades, mono price sells great quality thick cheap cables that will perform like cables costing 20 times more and last a while.

The amp's protection circuitry is probably kicking in.

It's probably either a short in one of the lines (bare wire touching chassis ground or a messed up VC) or the amp isn't getting enough current (bad ground). Make sure your amp is grounded on metal that isn't tack welded or painted over. I've seen people ground their amp to seat belts before and they wondered why the amp didn't work despite the light turning on...

If your amp is grounded to a solid piece of sheetmetal (bit of an oxymoron...but you know what I mean), make sure you at least use a star washer as normal driving can loosen up your connection.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.