Speaker setup for amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

matyricon

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys,

I have a 400w two-channel amp I picked up not too long ago and want to put it in my car. to be honest I really only wanted it to clean up the audio signal from my cheap head unit and properly drive my speakers. so I'm not chasing volume, just crisp sound.

The amp I'm using is a JVC AX-3102 and from the use of calculators, I've found it seems my best option is to run two sets of 4ohm speakers in parallel to achieve 2ohm impedance that would drive all four speakers at 45watts. does this sound correct?
looking through the datasheet it states that 90w RMS x2 channels at 2ohms or 65w at 4 ohms, would my parallel configuration be the best for this?

Also, if someone could clear up my confusion between RMS and max output that would be great. for example, if I'm driving all four speakers at 45w that comes out at 180w, can i not make use of the leftover 220w?

Hey guys,

I have a 400w two-channel amp I picked up not too long ago and want to put it in my car. to be honest I really only wanted it to clean up the audio signal from my cheap head unit and properly drive my speakers. so I'm not chasing volume, just crisp sound.

The amp I'm using is a JVC AX-3102 and from the use of calculators, I've found it seems my best option is to run two sets of 4ohm speakers in parallel to achieve 2ohm impedance that would drive all four speakers at 45watts. does this sound correct?
looking through the datasheet it states that 90w RMS x2 channels at 2ohms or 65w at 4 ohms, would my parallel configuration be the best for this?

Also, if someone could clear up my confusion between RMS and max output that would be great. for example, if I'm driving all four speakers at 45w that comes out at 180w, can i not make use of the leftover 220w?
RMS is what your amp can play all day without danger. Max power is what it plays in certain high notes for a brief period. You are correct in your 2 ohm parallel calculation. All four speakers will sound superb without endangering the amplifier.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.