Speaker Placement?

nosaj070
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Chicago, IL
Hi, i know this question has been brought up before, but i couldn't find it when i searched. Ihave a 98 civic and a set of infinity reference 6000 cs components. Where would be the best place to mount it imaging wise? im not interested in kick panels. I was thinking int he doors infront of the handle, or surface mounted on the sail panel. Any other ideas, i would really prefer to have the tweeter flush mounted so it doesn't look crappy, thanks al ot

Not sure what to tell you other than to remind you to keep the tweeter within about a foot of the woofer. The tweeter is nice looking, you may be able to do something nice seperating the woofer and tweeter, although it doesn't sound like you want to.

yup. Keep it under a foot away, even 6" is what i've heard. You'd also want them TRYING to aim at the drivers head... When people make kicks, a trick is to use the laser pointer to see what angle to go on to reach the headrest..... That's what you'd ideally want

Good info in the above post, I didn't want to assume the thread starter didn't know how to set up components. Tweeters are not like bass, you can pin point their location and so you need them near a speaker to sound better. ESPECIALLY components. They sound REALLY bad if they are not near each other. They need each other in order for them to sound normal. The closer the better. But if you are doing a custom fit install, I would have a seperate encasement for the tweeter to show them off.

Will someone please explain to me, why many SQ champs have their midbass' mounted in the door, and the tweeter in the A piller (top or botttom), or near the top of the door?

The 12" or 6" "rule" does not apply in every application.

- Steve

Different speakers respond differently and act differently. A coaxial and a tweeter act differently than a component set. The component set needs to compliment each other to produce a clear sound. If you turn off either the mid or the tweeter they will sound like crap (even blown) on their own, but together they sound amazing. If you seperate them too far your ear will not be able to combine both signals giving you two seperate sounds which will not have the same sound quality. Tweeters mounted too far from the coaxial can be wired out of phase which tones them down a bit and will actually raise your SQ level off the meter and sound better in person. However, as a general rule for installing component speakers if you are not running for SQ competitions and during a regular install you would want the tweeter as close as possible.

But to tell a kid who is trying to install a set of components in his Civic and needs to consult a car audio forum that not mounting the tweeter next to the woofer because people win in SQ contests seems a bit harsh. Sometimes knowledge is best left unsaid to prevent causing him from making a mistake.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.