Speaker install in Subaru Crosstrek

Participant count
  • Participant list

nick49

Hello all, first post. I'm Nick form Salt Lake City and would like to learn from those with more experience and possibly help some people out with what I can. I have a business where I build custom bikes, choppers, bobbers etc. I also build, repair and tune big hot rod V-Twin motors. I design engineer and fab a lot of custom one off parts and find solutions to mechanical problems. I also scratch build and design custom wiring harnesses and system for bikes. I do it all and have since the late '70s.

What I expect in the end is a good sound system, something that sounds good at levels where you could still carry on a conversation with a passenger or slightly louder. I'm an old man and don't listen to bass intense stuff. I have a $500 sub that I bought for my home system and don't even use it, I don't want or need a sub in my car, I'd rather have the space.

So, I bought a '13 Subaru Crosstrek with the base system. It sounds poor, flat, lacking depth, etc.

On some Subaru websites the audio guys are installing Polk 6.5 speakers with good results and highly recommend those. I already bought 2 pair for F & R door install, so I'd like to use them. I will stay with the OE tweeters and head unit for now.

I'd like some help on the install. The OE speakers have very small magnets and look very cheap but they have a tapered conical mounting base built in that points them slightly up and back. If I mount the Polks they will be flat against the doors and point to each other. Is this OK? Or should I try to angle them slightly and where will I get angled adapters? Any other hints for speaker in door mounting? I can whip up some wiring adapters easily. Thanks!

It's very uncommon for door speakers to be angled up and back. It could help eliminate some cancellation resulting from the sound reflecting off the center console, assuming the vehicle has a full console. If you have the tools and skill to do it, you could replicate the angle of the factory speakers with new baffles.

It's very uncommon for door speakers to be angled up and back. It could help eliminate some cancellation resulting from the sound reflecting off the center console, assuming the vehicle has a full console. If you have the tools and skill to do it, you could replicate the angle of the factory speakers with new baffles.
Or you could cut up the factory speakers and reuse the factory mounting brackets. You'd most likely never go back to factory, and if you sell the car, the upgraded speakers could be a selling point.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.