Soundstream ta1.3000d vs American Bass 150.1

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
So i have a buddy local to me that has a AB150.1 and i was thinking about seeing what kind of trading he might do because he is thinking of trading off.

I was curious how these would compare to each other. I can NEVER for the life of me find anything that tells what the VFL150.1 will put out or heck any VFL amp.

The Soundstream is rated at 2500 at 1 ohm and will probably do like 2200-2300 id say. The VFL i have never seen a legit rating for it. it just says 2900 rms. Doesnt say where etc.

In reality the Soundstream actually has a beefier board however i know that doesnt always tell the tale.

But what do you guys think, or what light can you shed on the VFL150.1. I would use search but it seems the search is broken and google doesnt have shit really about the vfl150.1 and alot is blocked because im at work.

Thoughts?

Id rather have the AB. They are pretty stout as far as .5 and whatnot. They wont do 2900w tho. It might do that at 16v. Ive always heard they are more of a 2200w amp on standard electrical

A guy local swapped out his old Soundstream XXX 10,000's for AB500.1s and does within a couple tenths of the same number. 150.1 should be the same or more power and leaps and bounds more reliable.

Id rather have the AB. They are pretty stout as far as .5 and whatnot. They wont do 2900w tho. It might do that at 16v. Ive always heard they are more of a 2200w amp on standard electrical
the soundstream is also .5 stable daily and will burp and run at .25 with stout electrical. I ran mine at .5 for over a year and its no slouch. Does **** near rated

A guy local swapped out his old Soundstream XXX 10,000's for AB500.1s and does within a couple tenths of the same number. 150.1 should be the same or more power and leaps and bounds more reliable.
i see. As far as reliable my SS has been more then reliable. Never protected running under 1 ohm or even got to hot alittle warm of course though. From what i have read the 30 mins the 150.1 is pretty much a 1500 watt at 1 ohm amp. of course it will do more do wired below 1 though.

with the tests ive read and videos ive seen now im not sure if it will make more then my SS honestly. Not saying the SS is a better amp, but power wise it seems to edge. I seen a clamp from Iraggi and it did alittle over 1500 @ 1ohm(1.15) rising from .5 at 13v i believe. He said its a 1500 watt amp.

test it out.
The vfl 150.1 clamped at 1082 watts at 2.57 ohms wired to 1 ohm nominal for reference. Was on a video i saw.
i think i seen that one but he didnt have all the info for it. I finally found some stuff on lunch and i think im going to hold my amp. It seems mine will edge the 150.1 in power.

The ss is rated for 0.5ohm, so it will definately play there. But im taking korean over chinese for reliability.

The 150.1 is definately stronger than 1500. I know people used to say 1500 was the 12v usaci rating.

The required fusing is 200a, and if you compare guts, it is very much on par with amps like saz2000d and aq/sq2200

The ss is rated for 0.5ohm, so it will definately play there. But im taking korean over chinese for reliability. The 150.1 is definately stronger than 1500. I know people used to say 1500 was the 12v usaci rating.

The required fusing is 200a, and if you compare guts, it is very much on par with amps like saz2000d and aq/sq2200
This SS board is korean based if im not mistaking, but no longer made. it was changed for the next model of it the tarantula. The board in this model soundstream shares the board layout with the AB200.1 other then the 200.1 has a couple more fets

Im almost certain the SS is a chinese copy of a korean board, like some of the brutus amps. Doesnt make it junk by any means, just makes it not as reliable as the korean counterpart.

People claim the chinese brutus 2400 is the same as the korean sq2200. But the sq clamps more and ppl run them down to 0.25, when the brutus will smoke at 0.5 without pretty solid electrical.

Perhaps the biggest difference is the 12v numbers. At 14.4v they will be close. The better amp will pull away at 12v.

That said, will the 100w +/- matter in your application? No.

i think i seen that one but he didnt have all the info for it. I finally found some stuff on lunch and i think im going to hold my amp. It seems mine will edge the 150.1 in power.
Uhm you said the ss clamped 1500 watts at 1.1 ohm vs 1000 watts at 2.6 ohms. At a proper 1 ohm load the vfl will smoke that SS

Im almost certain the SS is a chinese copy of a korean board, like some of the brutus amps. Doesnt make it junk by any means, just makes it not as reliable as the korean counterpart.
People claim the chinese brutus 2400 is the same as the korean sq2200. But the sq clamps more and ppl run them down to 0.25, when the brutus will smoke at 0.5 without pretty solid electrical.

Perhaps the biggest difference is the 12v numbers. At 14.4v they will be close. The better amp will pull away at 12v.

That said, will the 100w +/- matter in your application? No.
this is true, i always wondered that. I assume they use lesser quality in the guts on the Hifi's

Uhm you said the ss clamped 1500 watts at 1.1 ohm vs 1000 watts at 2.6 ohms. At a proper 1 ohm load the vfl will smoke that SS
i dont think i did. Iraggi did the test and the 150.1 did 1500 @ 1ohm. He did a write up on the 150.1 The Soundstream did more then 1500 @ 1ohm when it was clamped. Ive seen the Soundstream do any where from 2k-2300 @ 1 ohm clean from from different users.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.