Soundstream Amp Clipping Problem

NYCJEEP

Hello to everyone here. I have s clipping problem with an old RUBICON 604. Every time I turn the volume up on my Pioneer avh6600dvd head unit (especially on dynamic music) the clipping lights flicker which is normal. However, at peak notes the lights turn solid and the music cuts on and off repeatedly. I have tried just about everything logical to fix this prob before determining the amp is bad. I bought a brand new Rubicon 502 today and tried it and it was the same problem the first test and then after that it didnt do it again. Now I am suspect to believe it might not be the amp. I tried different speakers etc. The amp is used for mids/highs. My 1002 pushing 2 IDMAX;s has no problems with this clipping. Anyone ever have similar problems with SoundStream amps? any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Hello to everyone here. I have s clipping problem with an old RUBICON 604. Every time I turn the volume up on my Pioneer avh6600dvd head unit (especially on dynamic music) the clipping lights flicker which is normal. However, at peak notes the lights turn solid and the music cuts on and off repeatedly. I have tried just about everything logical to fix this prob before determining the amp is bad. I bought a brand new Rubicon 502 today and tried it and it was the same problem the first test and then after that it didnt do it again. Now I am suspect to believe it might not be the amp. I tried different speakers etc. The amp is used for mids/highs. My 1002 pushing 2 IDMAX;s has no problems with this clipping. Anyone ever have similar problems with SoundStream amps? any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
The music cutting in and out is NOT the same as clipping. Sounds to me like you have a short somewhere -- could be in any number of places... a speaker terminal touching metal somewhere, a pinched wire, etc.

Thank you all for the responses. I have checked the voltage at the ground and power terminals on the amp in the past and it seemed fine. If i disconnect the speakers while the sound is cutting on and off the red lights go from solid back to flickering again. I am going cazy over this because everytime I turn it up all i hear is bass and mids/highs cutting in and out and its embarrasing when you spend good money on a system.

Thank you all for the responses. I have checked the voltage at the ground and power terminals on the amp in the past and it seemed fine. If i disconnect the speakers while the sound is cutting on and off the red lights go from solid back to flickering again. I am going cazy over this because everytime I turn it up all i hear is bass and mids/highs cutting in and out and its embarrasing when you spend good money on a system.
What happens if you fade your balance all to the left? And now all to the right?
Report back...

same thing when fading left to right. I am going to swap the amp in place of my sub amp and see of for some ungodly reason it stops when using the power and ground wire for my other amp, though all power and ground wires are coming from the same dist block...sometimes in can be the stupidest thing causing a major headache...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.