Soundqubed (AQ) best bet?

T3mpest
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Illinois
Planning a system for a buddy. His first "goal" was to "smash the lows".. Well at least he said so lmao. I let him hear my 21 when it was tuned at 30hz and he said he liked it. However, last week my box got messed up long story short it can no longer play below 40hz ( I have a SSF set at 50hz 12db/octave for it's protection until i get it all fixed) However, while messing with box orientation, I gained a **** TON of ouptput in the 60hz area. (literally 10dbs or more, I had some BAD cancellation going on before, right where my car should have peaked)..

Anyway, sorry for all the background, but he actually likes the sound of my woofer now much better and looking at his music on his phone, very little of his stuff goes below 35hz much. No decaf, no Jeezy, etc. Mostly rock, a bit of mid 40's peaking rap, and that's about it. So we are now looking for loud more than low.

Budget isn't a huge concern, he's willing to go up to 275 per woofer, he wants a pair of twelves. He will have a sundown 1500d for power, he isnt' up to upgrading electrical right now, but maybe eventually he will. Anyway it's going in a 2009 CTS, so a big trunk, just not enough clearance for 15's. So I'm thinking HDC 3's would be the way to go. HS300's are a amazing deal, but that motor looks dinky and I think the 3's will outperform the 300's on the same power and give him more room to upgrade power later, without feeling like he went cheap.

From what I've heard correct me if I'm wrong on any of this

1.They "like" higher tunings (probably 35hz for this build, I know caddies pretty well)

2.They "like" larger boxes (probably 2.25 cubes or so per sub after displacements

3.They have a loud top end, (he really needs 40hz-80hz to bang.

Point 3 is probabably the most important. He likes the sound of my good PA gear, but like all PA gear, his fronts won't go lower than 80hz, so I need to get him a sub that can be crossed over at 80hz and give good top end response for rock, it can't die at 60hz.. He was using my AV15h as a sub in his last car, it's a SQ woofer, and it's a very balanced one.. It'll play as high as you want, no sweat and does get very loud for what it is. (under 1k of power, you'd be hardpressed to beat it) I looked into DD with the SC option to get shorting rings, but those prices are nuts. Cant' swallow 700 for a 3515! Also looked into tantric for him. Has anyone heard both who can compare the two, it'd probably be the MD or possibly an HD vs the HDC3.

Anyway clearly I'm not new and I'm not stupid. I know I'm more or less on the right track. However, these aren't usually the woofers I go for and his taste in bass is a little different than mine, which is why I'm getting outside opinions.

I would love to see a thread that shows a grid of the most popular subwoofers with these types of classifications; i.e. preferred box type, preferred box size, if they perform well with ported enclosures, what they like to be tuned to, and optimal RMS power from a reputable amplifier manufacturer.

A lot of that information comes from experimentation, and it would awesome to pool that information so that people don't have to have experiments fail that are just repeating other people's failed experiments. Some of that information is sparsely available on the internet, but you gotta dig a lot to find it I think.

Planning a system for a buddy. His first "goal" was to "smash the lows".. Well at least he said so lmao. I let him hear my 21 when it was tuned at 30hz and he said he liked it. However, last week my box got messed up long story short it can no longer play below 40hz ( I have a SSF set at 50hz 12db/octave for it's protection until i get it all fixed) However, while messing with box orientation, I gained a **** TON of ouptput in the 60hz area. (literally 10dbs or more, I had some BAD cancellation going on before, right where my car should have peaked)..
Anyway, sorry for all the background, but he actually likes the sound of my woofer now much better and looking at his music on his phone, very little of his stuff goes below 35hz much. No decaf, no Jeezy, etc. Mostly rock, a bit of mid 40's peaking rap, and that's about it. So we are now looking for loud more than low.

Budget isn't a huge concern, he's willing to go up to 275 per woofer, he wants a pair of twelves. He will have a sundown 1500d for power, he isnt' up to upgrading electrical right now, but maybe eventually he will. Anyway it's going in a 2009 CTS, so a big trunk, just not enough clearance for 15's. So I'm thinking HDC 3's would be the way to go. HS300's are a amazing deal, but that motor looks dinky and I think the 3's will outperform the 300's on the same power and give him more room to upgrade power later, without feeling like he went cheap.

1.They "like" higher tunings (probably 35hz for this build, I know caddies pretty well)

2.They "like" larger boxes (probably 2.25 cubes or so per sub after displacements

Point 3 is probabably the most important. He likes the sound of my good PA gear, but like all PA gear, his fronts won't go lower than 80hz, so I need to get him a sub that can be crossed over at 80hz and give good top end response for rock, it can't die at 60hz.. He was using my AV15h as a sub in his last car, it's a SQ woofer, and it's a very balanced one.. It'll play as high as you want, no sweat and does get very loud for what it is. (under 1k of power, you'd be hardpressed to beat it) I looked into DD with the SC option to get shorting rings, but those prices are nuts. Cant' swallow 700 for a 3515! Also looked into tantric for him. Has anyone heard both who can compare the two, it'd probably be the MD or possibly an HD vs the HDC3.

Anyway clearly I'm not new and I'm not stupid. I know I'm more or less on the right track. However, these aren't usually the woofers I go for and his taste in bass is a little different than mine, which is why I'm getting outside opinions.
Ur rigght on the money the hdc3 will be great for his application and louder on that power than the hds300 and cheaper than the tantric hd...also on such little power id go 2.5 cubes per sub with a tuning around 35-38 will give him the top end he needs to mesh well with the pa drivers and get low enough to play his lowest music range ...and will not have to upgrade subs if he wants to double the power he runs ...u got it figured out dont second guess it

700 is 99 series pricing your dealer is giving it to you dry my friend

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.