Sound cutting out when I reach 3/4 full volume.

Participant count
  • Participant list
NJ
Edit: I just discovered the stock amp uses high-level inputs, not low-level like I thought.

I recently did a crossover\amp\sub install in my Subaru BRZ, utilizing the factory head unit. The car has a factory amp located in the trunk which has low-level signal being fed to it from the head-unit. I tapped into this signal and soldered RCA's to a harness I made so I could add an aftermarket crossover + amp + subwoofer. This input is full-range..

Everything plays fine and it sounds great, but when I reach about 3/4 of full volume, all audio stops (like its muted); the headunit shows no errors and it looks like its normal with the exception of no sound output. If I disconnect the RCA from the crossover or harness, audio comes back on.

I'm thinking maybe it is the input impedance of my crossover that doesn't jive with the head unit? Is there any way to get this to work or should I ditch the cross-over and find another way to get low's? If the impedance's need to match for it to work, how can I determine my stock radio's output impedance? Can I use a multimeter?

Also, with this crossover, I have the crossover sub output level at just a smidge and my sub amp gain super low yet it pounds like hell as if I had it jacked up. What do I do?

Sound Storm SX310 crossover specs:

co.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would look at getting an loc instead of just tapping the signal from the head to amp with rca's. My guess is this is what is causing the shut down. Or get a crossover with high level inputs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.