Sony Xplod amps

NOOOOOOOO dont do it. There amps are overratted and are almost as bad as the subs. I have a friend with a 1200 watt sony amp and he hooked it up to 2 12" jl w3's and i have a mtx 8302 amp 425 watts and they sounded so much louder and better than from his amp and he paid about the smae for it as i did for mine so i really dotn suggest getting a sony amp.

the thing is the amp is only going to be running about 200 rms in mono. its going in my brothers s-10 he doen't have alot of space so he'll probly have it pushing 1 or 2 8"s.

Originally posted by grizzjwill NOOOOOOOO dont do it. There amps are overratted and are almost as bad as the subs. I have a friend with a 1200 watt sony amp and he hooked it up to 2 12" jl w3's and i have a mtx 8302 amp 425 watts and they sounded so much louder and better than from his amp and he paid about the smae for it as i did for mine so i really dotn suggest getting a sony amp.
Yea when you buy this overrated crap you're can damage your equipment and your hearing from the distortion. Amps where the dollar per watt is so cheap it seems too good to be true (Sony) it generally is. In fact, their true power output can be more expensive than a reputable brand that underrates their equipment. Here is a passage from an article:

For those of you who demand more of an explanation on why

ratings vary so much, the law does not require enough information

to be printed on the products rating. And what information the

law does require most people don't understand anyway. The first

of the two amplifiers was rated under NON-REAL conditions in a

test lab connected to a "dummy load" rather than a real speaker.

In the lab, under ideal conditions, the amplifier was tested to

have 50 watts. Then they found if they use a tone rather than

music the power doubled, easy to understand since the amp is

only playing one note instead of combinations of 20,000 notes.

Then they discovered that if they raise the voltage to 15 or 16

volts the power doubled again. Then they discovered that if you

let the amp sit with no signal going to it, and then burst it

with one note for a millisecond, the peak (MAX) measured higher

still! Now the power supply and most of the other parts in the

amplifier are getting so hot that the amp is starting to smell,

so they found out that if you spray freon on the amplifier and

keep it cold, the voltage could be increased to 19 volts before

smoke rolls out of it. So that's what they do, and however high

the power meter says just before the amp smokes is what they

print on the box. The second of the two amplifiers was rated

under simulated worst case conditions with low voltage (12 VDC)

across the entire musical spectrum with no distortion. A rating

that will be accurate for the life of the amplifier even if it is

never shut off. That's the difference.

I just thought that was worded well and was looking for a thread to post it in...

In the article he was comparing a 400 watt amp and an 80 watt amp and showed that the 80 watt amp put out more power than the claimed 400 watts of the overrated amp.

Yea that does make alot of sense but i still dont think they can get legacy amps to put out 2400 watts with 19 volts and smoke rolling so i just think they lie or something.

hey jayjay where the **** did you get that info. Thats the stupidest thing i'v heard for a long time. no one would overrate there amp that much. And anyways i'v heard the sony, i wouldn't buy it with out a test. if any thing its pushing over what it says.

Originally posted by LuNaTiC hey jayjay where the **** did you get that info. Thats the stupidest thing i'v heard for a long time. no one would overrate there amp that much. And anyways i'v heard the sony, i wouldn't buy it with out a test. if any thing its pushing over what it says.
You honestly think Sony is underrated???//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I have seen an 800 watt claimed Jensen amp for $75 at Sears. I bet that amp was obscenley overrated.

if any thing its pushing over what it says.
Your ears told you if anything a Sony amp pushes more than what it says?

The above quote is a figerative article. No names were mentioned. It is just gives ways companies overrate their amps. I knew some of them, but not a couple. It's just an interesting read on how some of the ways your Sony Xplod amp got the power ratings it advertises.

Hey lunatic i will bet you that the sony amp dont push over what it says it does and there are companies that do that like legacy and maybe sony isnt as bad as legacy but they are overrated and they are not worth the money.

ears can lie and saying that nobody does that is a lie as well. Why else can u buy a 400 watt legacy amp for 50 dollars (compliments of ike) and still the manufacturer and the retailer makes money on it. Sony may not underrate =EDIT: overrate= as much as legacy but it's still =EDIT: overrated= , or otherwise they wouldn't have such a bad rep.

oops thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I've been talking alot about my new hifonics amp lately which is underrated. slightly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.