Sony xm 1652z

Participant count
  • Participant list

Forgot my name

Im lost i think
I have 2 of theese and 4 4ohm 12's" svc the specs do not show wiring bridged 2ohm setup which is how i have configured mine . My question is is it worth it (pwr output) setup like this or is it better to wire subs in series to get 4 ohm bridged or put 1 sub o

Basically I had someone tell me that if amp isnt rated at 2 Ω then running subs at 2 ohm wouldn't give out a higher output and would possibly lower the output versus most amps somewhat doubling watts as impedance doubles. It sounded like bullship to me but I'm not an expert

The amp is 400w rms at 4 ohms bridged.
That is its minimum stable impedance and 400w is its maximum power cabability.

Why would you expect it to double in power again just because the impedance is reduced? it doesn't even double from 4 to 2 -- not even close to it actually.

What will happen below 4 ohms mono is it will get super hot and produce little if any power beyond 400. Hopefully it will go into thermal and/or overcurrent protection before it melts down.

Bridge the amps with the subs wired in series for 8. Everything will run w/o stress and it will sound fine.

The amp is 400w rms at 4 ohms bridged.
That is its minimum stable impedance and 400w is its maximum power cabability.

Why would you expect it to double in power again just because the impedance is reduced? it doesn't even double from 4 to 2 -- not even close to it actually.

What will happen below 4 ohms mono is it will get super hot and produce little if any power beyond 400. Hopefully it will go into thermal and/or overcurrent protection before it melts down.

Bridge the amps with the subs wired in series for 8. Everything will run w/o stress and it will sound fine.
Please dont take this negatively, i couldnt think of a way to say it and not sound rude so apologies first . I know how to read specs . the "somewhat doubling " was a generalization cuz i dont know the watts to impedance formula and from what ive seen its not the same for every amp but 300w > 570w is close to double . I randomly grabbed this # from an amp on amazon . Sorry had to get that off my chest no hard feelings . Its funny i actually cut a hole in the heat sink and added a small cpu fan to keep it cool . U may not believe this but i have had 1 of these amps for 16 years and have ignorantly ran it on 2 ohm many times for years at a time and it still works . Thank u for the advice and knowledge it did not fall on deaf ears and is appreciated. Have a good one

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.