Sony vs Pioneer?

NYC-Havok
10+ year member

SI, NY
Sony-Mobile ES CDX-CA760X (or 860x) or the Pioneer DEHP7400MP. What seems to be the better out of the two? The mp3 playback sounds cool, and I like the display, but is the 52x4 (sony) that much of a stepup from the 50x4 ?

i would go with the pioneer, i have had friends who have had a lot of trouble with sony headunits and i have had many different pioneers overe the years and havent had trouble with any of them and no the 50x4 and 54x4 are almost no difference at all

I think that your best bet would be the pioneer. I know several people who have sony HU's and they all have trouble with them. One guy's sony skips every time that he shuts the door. I've never had any problems with my pioneer.

My son has a Sony that's only 3 months old and already it's breaking his ballz. I just picked up a Pioneer P6400 and I'm quite happy with it.

The only downside I found with the Pioneer is that the remote output is only rated for 300 ma. which is pretty lame. And there's only 1 of them for both power antenna (which I have on my car) and amp remote. So the antenna comes up even in CD mode. Stupid. The Sony has separate outputs. But that difference ain't worth the reliability problem Sony has.

54 vs 50 watts peak is a joke. At 14 volts input the absolute maximum power any amp could make is 49 watts peak into 4 ohms. That's about 34 wrms. Most head units are 22-28 wrms before they get distorted.

drop the sony, they say that they play mp3's but what they don;t tell you is that if its not recorded at a fast enough bit rate it wont play them, and i've had several pioneers that weren't mp3 players that played them

I have had a Pioneer and a Sony and out of both the Sony rocks. I have the 850CDX with the two remotes and it doesnt skip ans it is hooked up to a CD changer and it hasnt skipped yet and still have not a problem with it Dont get me wrong, Pioneer is very high quality for their HU BUT i PREFER THE SONY. Thats my opinion.

Go to this website http://www.audio-warehouse.com/caraudio.asp and just by a clarion. If you want quality here it is. If you really want quality then go with what I have and get the Eclipse but they are quite expensive. My next choice would be the new panisonic. If your hooking up highs and sub get something with a 4, 5, or 8 Volt preouts. The money spent is well worth it. Please do not buy a head unit for the graphics or bells and whistles buy it for quality. the new clarion with interchangable color plates are 259 on that website. look at the spec on it and you will be impressed.

the pioneer is probly a more reliable hu and it has as much if not more power i believe. At a shop a was at a guy tried both the decks in his car to see if there was a difference cuz the guy told him the pioneer had more power so they tried it and the pioneer did sound a lot better. I dont know if that means a lot but hey i was impressed.

later

I got a sony HU and well it's about as good as getting kicked in the nuts it skips when the subs thump the preout cables have 2 be special or something it doesn't play some preout cables but the girls think it's cool. o well can't win them all

I have the pioneer premier Dehp-430 and it is a 50X4. i like this deck even though it isnt the greatest one out there. the 7400 was my second choice. the mp3 part sold me on it. As for sony the Rms is really low on their units, and their units are made cheaper. The pioneer has a 1 year warranty while the sony has a 3 month if that. The premier has a 2 year warranty. the Pioneer premier 740 is the one you want. the sony will break after using it very little.

I would reccomened either one which ever you like better. I have had both and never had problems with either one. Have a sony l650 for 2 years now and still plays as strong as the first day i bought it and it had a 1 year warrenty so i dont know where your gettin 3 year warrnrety but get the es series the plain old sonys are made cheap and break easy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.