Sony MEX-XB100BT ???

Participant count
  • Participant list
Whats your guys thoughts on the Sony MEX-XB100BT. I'm not a fan of sony anything for car audio so I more or less stumbled on this. Its 20% off at sonics right now, so the deal is looking good. I was really shopping for an alpine, would I be disappointed with this over an alpine deck?

The stats are what is amazing. If you don't know them..

40w RMS x 4!!!

3 x 5v rca pre-outs

10 band eq

claimed 120db signal to noise on cd's

should I grab one or stick to an alpine instead?

Still kind of curious, but at the price I was gunna spend for an alpine or this, i just tossed a few more bucks in and grabbed an 80prs... The 40wrms is still interesting though.. kinda saves you from needing an extra amp..

Still kind of curious, but at the price I was gunna spend for an alpine or this, i just tossed a few more bucks in and grabbed an 80prs... The 40wrms is still interesting though.. kinda saves you from needing an extra amp..
I was kind of curious, but at the same time I personally haven't heard a good modern Sony, and the features seemed to be lacking a bit. Still it seems like a solid option if your willing to make some trade offs for extra power.

completely works fine for average joes. For system addicts, it wont be enough. Many people I've installed it for are happy with it. It also has an option that turns your 6x9 into subwoofers as well so you can find some 6x9 subwoofers(tang band 6x9) and viola, very stealth and full sounding setup for the average joe, no trunk space taken up with a subwoofer it'll be equal to two 8" subwoofers ran infinite baffle in terms of output which fills out the bass and shakes your rear view mirror a bit but thats all nothing too crazy. Also the clear audio revives some of your horrible compressed mp3 files so it actually sounds decent afterwards and it also has time alignment to help with staging.

However for enthusiasts, it'll be lacking with the power since most drivers require 100-150 watts per side for the mids and highs. Also if you want choking and chest punching bass, you'll definitely need way more power than 80-120 watts to the back and bigger subs.

Yea I have a 4 channel amp that I plan on using to power door speakers. I was just thinking that at 40 watts from the hu, you could push some tweeters.. or the door speakers and then use an amp for some full range woofers or mid drivers or 6 x9's.. etc It just adds options. It's also nice for like mid level enthusiasts who just want some like polk/infinity/etc. co-axials without needing an amp.

I actually played with one at best buy. The menu was nice, decent enough options(not for the audiophile of course), looked good, easy controls. Is sony trying to reclaim some glory in the car audio world? maybe.

Yea I have a 4 channel amp that I plan on using to power door speakers. I was just thinking that at 40 watts from the hu, you could push some tweeters.. or the door speakers and then use an amp for some full range woofers or mid drivers or 6 x9's.. etc It just adds options. It's also nice for like mid level enthusiasts who just want some like polk/infinity/etc. co-axials without needing an amp.
I actually played with one at best buy. The menu was nice, decent enough options(not for the audiophile of course), looked good, easy controls. Is sony trying to reclaim some glory in the car audio world? maybe.
yeah they really are trying to clean up their name that they completely fked up last decade. I wouldnt use them personally yet because they would need something that beats out the 80 prs. however i'd recommend them to average people no problem.

PS: The polk and infinity coax is still low level enthusiasts/ average joe bud lol. Mid level enthusiasts are at the 200-500 dollar price range in components. No mid level enthusiast would even consider coaxials because the sound staging capabilities is horrid with coax.

I see, I always thought average joe was crap you get a wal-mart. Bottom of the line kicker, pioneer, etc. Mid-level enthusiast was quality name or higher model, coax or comp. High level enthusiast was quality components only, sound staging, timing, etc. I just feel like any speakers over 150$ is for audiophiles that can tell the difference or care enough to get legit staging. I guess everyone has different standards, I fall into average joe, that likes good sounding stuff, but couldn't tell the difference in quality between good brand name 100$ speakers or 500$ speakers.. I've tried... I even like surround sound vs staged.. Then again to be honest, after years of hooking up anything I had available and jamming the brains out of it, I'm finally getting more into quality stuff... Soo, my opinion and hearing taste will probably improve over time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.