Sony CDX-GT310 wattage questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

jflick092
10+ year member

Work Do'er
Ohio
.... i have this cd deck, and i want to get better speakers but i just looked at the box and it says 17x4 rms at 4 ohms, (says 54x4 on the front.. max i guess) and Sn ration 82dBA... if i got speakers that are around 75 rms, will i blow the cd deck amp or what ever it is??? Is there anyway i could make the load easier on the deck so i can get more watts? what would i wire to?

yeah i know this radio is pretty bad but it was my brothers and came with my car...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thankyou.gif.5451126d09e870f796f50c3a4dd5acd7.gif

- i know it would be better if i just got an amp but I cant install it myself and its just more wires......

Any cheap 4 channel amps? for 4 - 5x7 speakers?

you can pretty much hook any 4 ohm speaker up to the deck and not hurt the deck....the speakers can get harmed (low power, distortion, etc.) And I would't try to jimmy rig the wiring to make it louder...thats when you will hurt the deck. Get a 4 channel (or two channel) and power the speakers off of that, 75 RMS speakers need an amp...you can run them off the deck but they wont sound too good.

.... i have this cd deck, and i want to get better speakers but i just looked at the box and it says 17x4 rms at 4 ohms, (says 54x4 on the front.. max i guess) and Sn ration 82dBA... if i got speakers that are around 75 rms, will i blow the cd deck amp or what ever it is??? Is there anyway i could make the load easier on the deck so i can get more watts? what would i wire to?
You can pretty much ignore the ludicrous power ratings to be found on the box (and sometimes the deck itself) for pretty much every headunit out there. Those numbers (50w X 4, 52w X 4, whatever it happens to be for the deck in question) are good for nothing but marketing and are nowhere near the usable output wattage the deck will provide for you.

Depending on the brand of deck 15 to 20 watts worth of actual power per channel is the norm for your average headunit.

Generally this simply isn't enough power to do any aftermarket speaker setup justice. And no, you do not want to try and lower the resistance load shown to the deck in an attempt to wring more juice from it. The most likely outcome is a guest appearance from Mister Magic Smoke (and he's never good company, by the way...) followed by grievous equipment damage.

No, attaching speakers rated to accept 75w RMS won't blow up your headunit but the headunit won't make enough wattage to approach getting the best possible performance from the speakers.

- i know it would be better if i just got an amp but I cant install it myself and its just more wires......Any cheap 4 channel amps? for 4 - 5x7 speakers?
There are many available options in the 50 to 75 watt per channel four-channel amps. All sizes and makes, all possible price ranges. If you're willing to buy used that opens up the options tremendously. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

you can pretty much hook any 4 ohm speaker up to the deck and not hurt the deck....the speakers can get harmed (low power, distortion, etc.)
If that were true you would damage your speakers every time you turned the volume down //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.