Sony cdx-5460 Intermittent AM audio

Participant count
  • Participant list

warriorjoe

I have an old sony cdx-5460, THE car radio of the '80's, in my old 1979 mercedes 450SL. There is a companion 40W dual speaker amp with speakers under the rear seat shelf.

All devices and features work on the unit except on AM. The AM will play good for about a 1-2 second burst them drops to low volume hiss. Flip back to FM, plays good continuosly. Then flip to AM, hear initial 1-2 second burst of good audio, then nothing (except low volume hiss.) This action can be repeated indefinitely. I not only like listening to FM, but am also an AM talk-radio junkie, which is why I am missing that AM!!

Now, I am not a newbie at electronics repair. I am a retired electrical/electronics/computer and broadcast engineer with extensive experience designing and repairing all types of consumer and industrial electronics including computers, TV's and radios. I know how to use a scope and audio test equipment. I say that not to toot my horn but to provide that backdrop to lead into a technical discussion that is probably a cut above the average forum question. If no one can answer it, I will understand. But hopefully someone else with similar background and/or experience will be able to help me. So here goes...

I have a Sony service manual with schematics and component layout and parts lists for all the main components. However there is not a seperate schematic or parts list for the tuner unit, which I think is where the problem is.

I can insert a 1000 hz audio signal into the first audio stage chip, and get a good tone output through both channels. So I know all the audio circuits are OK, and as I said earlier everything works fine in FM mode.

Using a techtronix scope, I can determine the existence of all the expected signals coming from the tuner in both AM and FM modes EXCEPT at the "AM-Det" output. When excercising the unit as described above, when switching from FM to AM, the voltage on that "AM-Det" pin from the tuner quickly rises from 0.0 to over 6 volts and settles back to about 3.52 volts (manual lists 2.2V). Scope trace shows good audio on that pin for about 2 secs then goes to no audio. I have a capacitor ESR tester and have checked all the electrolytics in and around the tuner unit and they all check OK.

The service manual shows part number A3282-000-A for the tuner unit. It is constructed of both chips and other discreet surface-mount components like the main board, so I would think a schematic diagram exists somewhere. I would like to repair the unit if I can, even tho it is an old unit and does not have all the bells and whistles of today's radios.

I any of you guys/gals have access to the tuner schematic, or have knowledge of the described symptoms and perhaps possible solutions, I would be eternally grateful to you!

BTW, all I get from Sony is the address of my local authorized Sony repair shop, which has proved fruitless.

Thanks in advance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.