Sonotube build - JL 13W3v3, suspended in trunk

Punk In Drublic
10+ year member

I was inspired to do this build after seeing all the talk about sonotubes last week. The whole build cost me about $20, and I love the new enclosure. It's about 1/4 the weight of my old box, and it takes up less space (Sealed, obviously...)

The sound quality is pretty good, I was definitely surprised with this one. I think I'm going to keep it in for a while, mostly because of how awesome it looks!

Video:

(my first time making a video, constructive criticism is welcome //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif)
Pics: (Sorry, cell camera was all I had when I was building it.)

The tubes (The guy gave me two of them in case I messed up haha) 14" x 22" sonotubes.

7eye.jpg

End baffles installed. The speaker is double baffled.

ws92z8.jpg

Mounting hole cut & ends spray painted black

25tuq12.jpg

Back of tube, terminal cup goes here

10nrjhl.jpg

Another shot of the inside

2cp2ezm.jpg

Test fit of the speaker, it's a perfect fit

15qwyh2.jpg

Carpet

2njit54.jpg

Mounted to rear deck with a hinge thing I found (Also one on back of tube for strength)

eio6md.jpg

cont...

The end result (I think it looks sweet) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif:cool:

24e5qgg.jpg

2hpsqrq.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! I'll post a video if you want.

ur trunk has a boner! nice!

i think i might do this for a ht setup with 1 10." hows it compare to a normal sealed enclosure?

looks good. i'm interested in seeing how it holds up to hard cornering. it might wanna swing and pull bolts out. you put any fiberglass resin in there too? i might have to try something like this,

i think i might do this for a ht setup with 1 10." hows it compare to a normal sealed enclosure?
Seems like the sound is smoother through the lower frequencies... Not sure exactly how to describe it other than smooth. Like it's punchy and tight like a normal sealed box, but it just sounds nicer. This is all IMO obviously. Try it for yourself - for like $25 bucks you really can't lose.

It's getting dark here now, I'll take a video tomorrow as long as it's nice out. Thanks for the feedback guys.

i''ve been thinking about doing 10's similar to this also, only they would be in a transmission line to look like greek columns next to the front door. had that pipe dream for a while now.

looks good. i'm interested in seeing how it holds up to hard cornering. it might wanna swing and pull bolts out. you put any fiberglass resin in there too? i might have to try something like this,
No resin in this one. If it breaks, I'll make another with my spare sonotube and resin it, and find a more solid way of suspending it. I'll keep you posted.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.