Something you don't see everyday...

cincypiper
10+ year member

The Pumpin' Piper
First post, folks. I have manners and am willing to learn! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I own a 1998 Volvo s90. Great car, and very comfy. While on the phone with Crutchfield, I learned something about my car. It is a speaker *related* question, hence my post here.

Rather than say "Which speaker for me", I'll say "golly gee willikers that's something I didn't think of..." and so I'm typing here hoping to find some real world info from the more enlightened community (that's you all by the way).

I'm still shopping for a head, and will put in some components up front for my first system build. Whilst shopping about, the guy at Crutchfield mentioned that the door component speakers for my car are not mounted in a traditional bracket, but rather somehow *adhered* to the door. This would restrict some of my possibilities for mounting components, right? In the front, I'm supposed to be able to have a 5.25 mid (tweeters in the dash) and a 6.5" in the back... but if this Glue business is true, I am supposing I would need to fab up some custom brackets.

Have you guys EVER run into something like that? Its a new thought for me.

So anyhow, for my first entry level system, I've got these items on the way:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?o=v&g=500&i=575PL1112&search=fosgate&tp=13

-and-

http://www.audiosavings.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=33309ef0-cff7-486e-8c4c-7bc45706e336&category_guid=ddef3e60-33b1-4848-9739-e14498397064

After I land a head that has the features I'll need, I'll get components for up front... but man I haven't found any "glue on" speakers, LOL!

Ok, so let me know your thoughts, I'd be very happy to hear from you. Heck, once the new rig gets put in the Volvo, you'll probably be hearing from ME!

Have a great day!

Mike

First post, folks. I have manners and am willing to learn! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Have a great day!

Mike
Refreshing!

Gotta run out, but I'll check this out when I get back this evening.

Shucks, thanks. In a field like car audio, there are ... not many folks out there who demonstrate that they would actually like to LEARN something in the process. I'm not afraid of work, and would be happy to do some and be prouder as a result. BUT, my Volvo is by far the BEST car I've ever had and since the s90's aren't all that common, its not like I can go and tear things apart for learning's sake... then expect to easily find affordable replacement parts.

(I do software, and dear *lord* I know about breaking things badly, LOL!)

Mike

Once you get the specs from Crutchfield or other fitment guide, the next step is to look at the car... remove drivers and panels, see what you have, and take measurements.

After that, you can always talk to your neighborhood car stereo shop... estimates are still free.

A few basic tools, a maintenance manual on your car from the local auto parts store, and some common sense are all it will take to pop your door panels off (safely). You appear to be wanting to do this project yourself, you must get over your fear of removing pieces/parts. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif If you are gonna pay a pro, well just have them help you decide. Otherwise, pop off the panel and see what's going on there.

No, Ive never heard of glued-on door speakers in any modern vehicle, and frankly... it would be a very stupid idea for many reasons.... but Im no pro installer nor can i remember the last Volvo of any kind I worked on, so it may be true. I cant imagine the Crutchfield guy making it up. Pop it off and come tell us what's up, you have me curious about it. Well okay... slightly curious.

Welcome to the board. Hope you stick around, you made a very nice entrance.

i think its groun zero nah its audio system speakers that door speacial speakers for the golf the volvo and a couple of other odd mounting designs they arevery good you dont lose out on quality as they are great and there especially made for the car i dont know where you would get them in the states but cruthfeild might or any of the guys on here might also they are AUDIO SYSTEM 2 ways or 3 ways for euros and ovlovs sorry volvas sorry volvos got the bugger that time

The dude at Crutchfield is making it sound similar to the stock speakers in my Passat. The stock speakers in my car had a very shallow mounting depth to clear the window, shallow as in, the basket had a built in 1.25" spacer, and the speaker was maybe 1/8th of an inch passed that.

If this is the same principle, you'll have to fab up some 3/4" MDF spacers (or maybe an inch) to get it to clear the window.

Hi All:

Bass Lover1, I bow to your Opeth Fandom. Opeth is the cats meow, dude. (I also like Meshuggah, Killswitch, Lamb of God, Unearth, Mastadon, Fear Factory, Slayer, Danzig... from that anger stuff to my bagpiping albums, a little techno and R&B too.)

I really appreciate the astute answers and expected alot more of the less astute answers. I'm glad I'm here, and this will not be my last thread.

FWIW, the Fosgate P112 arrived. Yeah, I know the Forum convention... useless without pics... well my webcam is acting pretty useless at the moment and that just chaps my as#.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Zh3pTSF02Wf/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?o=v&g=500&i=575PL1112&search=fosgate&tp=13

$83, order went in on Monday, and its here in the office now.

The carpet is darker than on the Crutchfield site, but I'm not concerned with "man pretty" issues, as my concern is more to Rock Out to my own satisfaction and no one else's.

All that blasted testosterone aside, however, I must confess it is a pretty little thing, and will fit tight but nice into the forwardmost end of my trunk. The rear slant on the box even follows the angles of my backseats. The port is a large molded plastic insert. I've observed that as you progress inward following the port (the sexual references abound here), the inner diameter of the plastic narrows and flares into the interior of the cabinet behind the basket of the speaker. The terminal screws for the wire connections seem to be quite nice. Heh, ok, nice in that they're heavy, and feel quite SOLID at least. I'm thinking I'll need to use something like a conductive teflon tape on the top most threads of the pins, to keep the nuts from rattling off once tightened to the wire. Is Loctite conductive?

Ok, business aside, let's tell some funny "My Nuts Rattled Off" stories.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.