Something is royally wrong with my sub wiring.... I diagnosed, what does this mean?

Participant count
  • Participant list

CoilBurner

Banned
Waco
Seems like the right place to ask this question. Ive got 2 Audioque HDC3 10" subwoofers. They both are Dual 1 ohm voice coil

Im having some trouble wiring them up properly. I have each coils +/- going to a terminal bolt on the back of my box, so there all seperate and I can connect the wires how I want on the back of the box. Well the number arent turning out right...

When I measure each coils +/- they all read 1ohm. So thats fine I figure...

When I wire each subwoofer like this, they both read .5ohm on there own.

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, One 1 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speaker

But if I try and wire that same sub like this to 2 ohm, by using the diagram in the link above, it only reads.9 ohm.... same thing with the other sub... wires fine to .5, but then when wired for 2 ohm only reads 1 ohm.

If I wire them both together for 1 ohm like this diamgram shows...

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=12#results

I ONLY GET .5 OHM FINALL!!!

ARRRRGGHH starting to get annoyed lol.

EDIT, I also just read about a "op test to test polarity of the subs. And I tested each sub coil on a strong 9v battery and all coils popped the sub outwards when positive touched positive... so I think that means all my polarities are correct on my terminals bolts...

Whats going on here??

maybe you crossed coil wires inside the box,and are wiring them another way outside the box. so when you wire them theyre off? pull the subs out and double check the wires,and try to wire them out of the box.

maybe you crossed coil wires inside the box,and are wiring them another way outside the box. so when you wire them theyre off? pull the subs out and double check the wires,and try to wire them out of the box.
Well to verify that I hav the correct labelling on my row of +'s and -'s I did the pop test. Hook one coil of my subs negative to the nagitve of the battery, then the positive of that coil to the positive of the battery. If the subs pop out, then the polarity is correct (and they all popped out) but if they pop in then polarity would be wrong. But they all did pop out

I dont get it

I dont get why I can wire each sub to .5 fine, but cant wire it to 2 ohm....

I did some crazy **** like that one time inside a box, i had wired the subs in "series" inside the box but somehow 1 ended up not being wired up at all even though both coils were connected, and the other sub was wired in parallel to the amp.

well each + and - have there own binding post so all the wiring could be done on the OUTSIDE of the box. And Ive already confirmed I have all the + and - right...

Well if I had to guess, I'd say your probably using a $5 walmart DMM right? Those can be fairly inaccurate, especially if your attempting to read very low impedance (like 1/2 ohm). So if each coil measures right, and you know you have them wired correctly, then don't worry about it.

Well if I had to guess, I'd say your probably using a $5 walmart DMM right? Those can be fairly inaccurate, especially if your attempting to read very low impedance (like 1/2 ohm). So if each coil measures right, and you know you have them wired correctly, then don't worry about it.

Plausible, but i have the 20$ walmart DMM and it kicks ass.

Plausible, but i have the 20$ walmart DMM and it kicks ass.
Yeah and I've got a $2 Harbor Freight one that I use a lot, but if it gives me a weird reading I'm not going to freak out about it...I'll just bring home my $300 Fluke from work and check it again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Yeah and I've got a $2 Harbor Freight one that I use a lot, but if it gives me a weird reading I'm not going to freak out about it...I'll just bring home my $300 Fluke from work and check it again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Yea, i had one of those too, 3$ yellow one IIRC, i was checking voltage one day (yes, probes in right spot) and it just started smoking and caught fire. One of the resistors on the board had fell out and welded itself in between 2 capacitors it looked like. Lol

Yea, i had one of those too, 3$ yellow one IIRC, i was checking voltage one day (yes, probes in right spot) and it just started smoking and caught fire. One of the resistors on the board had fell out and welded itself in between 2 capacitors it looked like. Lol
haha, awesome. Well at that price I could afford to buy a replacement //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.