Somebody school me on playing music thru iPhone

Staynlean
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a Kenwood ddx370 unit that has a usb that i thought i would just plug the iphone into and play the music from my library thru the hu. Well, seems that's not the case. It displays the image on the hu but no music. It only plays the music thru the phone still.

Called a local stereo shop and they said i need some proprietary usb wiring cable and that it gets wired into the back of the deck, is this the case?

Somebody link me to what i need and i cant imagine it is that hard to install. I've done everything else from front to back of car.

Would rep if we had a rep system, whoever helps me out i owe you for life. Had no ides i could not just plug and play with the existing usb. Anyway..

Iphone5 btw...

Really nobody? I know this may be a dumb question but come on man. I'm fairly new to some of this, especially the iphone and dd head units.

If it's a newer ipod then... *If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5, iPad 4, or iPad mini; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback (no video output). Guess you can't use a cheap cable if that's what you're doing.

^ yea, i was gunna suggest try a different cable\the one that apple provided...

also, does anything work through usb? you try a thumb drive with mp3s on it?

I have not tried to a thumb drive through the usb to see if anything else works. The usb cord i am using is the one from Apple, not a knock off.

*Edit, i tried my old school iPod, it's like 6 years old... It does the same exact thing as the Iphone5.

It seems to me there is a setting somewhere that needs to be adjusted, like flipping a switch. any who, anymore suggestions from you guys would be appreciated.

If i transfer music to the usb, it will play just fine. Working on this update now, reading the instructions has my mind blown. Wtf?

If you're using the standard iPod USB cable, you also need to connect an aux input for sound. You also have the option of using the kenwood cable made for that interface. Here's a link. Kenwood KCA-IP202 (KCAIP202) Automotive iPod Video Connection Cable I'm not sure about the update, let us know what it accomplishes.
Man the update, to me anyway, is so unclear on how to install that im gonna have to get some help. Thanks for the link and advice, i will figure this out.

*Update, let's see if I can remember all this. I called Kenwood customer support and they walked me through the steps to get the iPhone to play music through the car stereo while connected to the existing usb port.

He had me go to all src> setup> then select input. Currently it was highlighted iPod beside avin2, he simply had me highlight, or press the avin2, to select it and bam, music through the car stereo from the iPhone.

There ya go, happy customer here...

^ Thanks for coming back and letting the forum know how you resolved the issue and not just abandoning the thread...

...maybe a year or two from now, someone researching this issue will stumble across this thread while googling their problem, and find the solution.

I had a Kenwood deck a couple years ago, I had an issue hooking up the Sirius tuner, their customer support was actually really good and knew exactly what to do and walked me through it step by step, sounds like you had the same experience. Good for Kenwood...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.