Some of my Wood projects

Participant count
  • Participant list

CheЯRyMan

cherrymancustoms.com
Thought Id show you some of my past wood working projects I used to make before I started making custom boxes. I was approached tonight and asked to use Birch then it switched to Oak and he asked which one is better in fact their all basically the same the use use peeler logs in thin sheets and glue together the thin veneers. If you do use a plywood for your next box try to get a make up of the fewest plys possible. I showed him a few furniture projects which is a solid hardwood way better than any plywood you could ever use. The down side is making up panels out of 5-8inch boards and the time it takes. So I offered him a hybrid solution solid walnut on the baffle and top and stained mdf where not visible. You will be seeing this enclosure in mid January. In the meantime it will look something like these past projects and will be the highest quality sub enclosure you can buy. Coming soon Ill be putting a 17 Inch flat screen in the back wall of a sub box.

+

Mdf is a solid core composite, Birch has voids in the layers from tree knots. Even though Birch is kiln dryed it still will always adjust itself to the surrounding air moisture shrinking and expanding. Ive got hardwoods thats been drying for years and it always shrinks and bows up a little. Both materials are susceptible to direct water damage. Birch is stronger from the perpendicular layered construction but when have you ever seen MDF fail so its adequate in this application. Finally when people claim Birch sounds better its really hard to hear the difference side by side, but I think the main advantage of birch is it flexes less from the layered construction so the walls don't absorb the energy and that equals the better sound. With proper bracing mdf walls can be just as rigid.

I think also the term "birch" can be deceiving as they're are different strains so to speak right? Like some being just laminate on each side with other stuff in between? I've heard true birch can be pretty expansive. Is that true?

I get 1" Oak real cheap a few hours from me. A little heavier than birch. But it's 14 ply, 1" thick (better than 3/4"), and $45 per sheet lol. Cheaper than most China birch 3/4 you buy at lowes/home depot

I think also the term "birch" can be deceiving as they're are different strains so to speak right? Like some being just laminate on each side with other stuff in between? I've heard true birch can be pretty expansive. Is that true?
Yes they use a garbage white wood for the plys and lay on a birch, oak or maple veneer for the outer ply. When you sand the outer layer you go through the veneer very quickly to the filler wood and looks like a burn mark. Stay away from high number of plys to thickness ratio because the thin nature of each ply will peel more easily at the edges. Fewer ply means thicker layered plys. Most people carpet or stain it so the burn mark blends in or is covered up. Its generally 15-20.00 more than mdf. When cutting you have to take extra precautions with tear out even a 60 tooth blade will chip out the backside unless you tape it or use a second board to prevent tear out. Ill be using a solid hardwood for the upcoming build its sawmill 1.125 after I plane it Ill have .875" thick walls and polyuthrane will bring out the wood grain and protect from moisture. Because most sawmill lumber is about 6 inches wide the time it takes to prepare the edges for joinery (peg, glue, clamping and resanding) make hardwood an expensive option. Ill be doing a hybrid combo to keep the cost reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiberglass is the worst in my opinion the thin layers arnt dense enough to have a good resonance. The denser the wall the better.
Ok, cause I was going to do my next box fiberglass..

It would be directly formed and adhered to metal on my vehicle. Would that make a difference? I can get more box volume with fiberglass.

Just seeing how it compared to birch and MDF. I'll do the sub baffle with MDF.

Ok, cause I was going to do my next box fiberglass..
It would be directly formed and adhered to metal on my vehicle. Would that make a difference? I can get more box volume with fiberglass.

Just seeing how it compared to birch and MDF. I'll do the sub baffle with MDF.
I meant .125 - .25" fiberglass pod or wall with no support has no density would sound hollow

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CheЯRyMan

cherrymancustoms.com
CheЯRyMan
Jackson TN.
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from