Some kind soul please help me?

Participant count
  • Participant list

WNCTracker

CarAudio.com Newbie
NC
2017 Chevy Silverado crew cab 1500
I’m so in over my head trying to pick what’s right and I figured I’d ask someone for help on this forum. I’m going to do the install myself, I’ve done them before but that was 25 years ago...

I want to keep the 8” factory head unit and replace the speakers and run a 4 channel amp. I called crutchfield and this is way they recommend. About $540 shipped. Is there anything that you’d recommend I purchase that is cheaper and will perform the same as what they suggested? Or anything you’d suggest in general. I have very little understanding when it comes to this stuff so don’t be afraid to dumb it down :)

dash: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_953PRX27/Memphis-Audio-PRX27.html

front and rear doors:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P167/Rockford-Fosgate-P1675.html

amp: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R2300X4/Rockford-Fosgate-R2-300X4.html

Is there anything that you’d recommend I purchase that is cheaper
Yes, there are more economical options that will sound as good but maybe have less features. One thing I see not mentioned is if Crutchfield told you about an Line Output Converter. I know the amp has a built in Hi Speaker Level input. But one thing I have noticed is those built ins work well with lower quality OEM radios. When it comes to the fancier ones, they tend to sound bad. It is due to fancier OEMs protecting the OEM speakers from over exertion by way of bass reduction and other automatic equalizer settings known as eq curves.
If your radio has this, the amp may not work as nice as it could. Also they are selling you six speakers to connect to a four channel amp. As stated by you, you have not dabbled in this in a while, so it may be a bit much tackle without precise instructions. But Crutchfield is well known for great customer service, so it may not be so bad.

I'm not really a fan of the Fosgate front end stuff
For the price range your looking for you should look at JBL or Infiniti
I would also stay away from coaxial speakers but thats just personal preference.
Does your truck have any other speakers other than the ones your replacing.
If not they make an amp bypass that is designed to wire into LOC's
https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-AB-GM1
Saves you from having to splice into wires
Technically you should be using a Digital Sound Processor but any LOC that boosts the pre amp voltage up to 4 volts or better should do but I recommend that over wiring directly to the High input on the amp

I second the JBL option. Believe it or not you can actually get some pretty good speakers that will drop in factory location and actually sound really good with some factory HU power. That may save a bit as well. Start by replacing speakers 1st. If it sounds good, may not need to install an amp.

For my G8 I had replaced factory paper coaxials with JBLs and it was night and day difference. Clarity and depth were far far better than stock produced. I thought of adding a small 4 channel, but it was good enough for me, louder and punchier.

Just a thought.
Otherwise Kickstand hit it in the head.

I'm not really a fan of the Fosgate front end stuff
For the price range your looking for you should look at JBL or Infiniti
I would also stay away from coaxial speakers but thats just personal preference.
Does your truck have any other speakers other than the ones your replacing.
If not they make an amp bypass that is designed to wire into LOC's
https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-AB-GM1
Saves you from having to splice into wires
Technically you should be using a Digital Sound Processor but any LOC that boosts the pre amp voltage up to 4 volts or better should do but I recommend that over wiring directly to the High input on the amp
It only has the 6 speakers that I mentioned. Do you have a JBL speaker in particular? If I don’t get coaxle speakers then I’ll need to get creative in mounting which intimidates me a bit. This truck is the nicest car I’ve ever had by a long shot so I don’t want to mess it up by trying to cut something.
I’m sorry to say that I don’t know what LOC is. I’ve never really fooled with Amplifiers. Sorry to sound dumb, but my level of knowledge is about 1/10.

LOC= Line Output Converter
You run speaker wire into one end of it and then it converts it into an RCA signal
Something with a line driver in it to boost the signal
The problem is that most amps require 2-8 volts from the RCA signal to run properly
A lower quality HU will put out 2 volts
Higher quality will put out 4-5 volts
Best quality 8 volts but hard to find.
The signal from your speaker wire is less than 1 volt.
Cheap LOC's don't boost the power at all.
Good ones or DSP's will boost it up to 8 volts or even higher sometimes
Something like this should do what you need (remember those prices are Canadian)
https://www.visions.ca/product-deta..._level_rca_converter?categoryId=67&sku=SSHLC4
As for the coaxial speakers.
That was just my preference, there are lots of people that don't have a problem with them and if you don't want to start modifying your truck then they may be your best bet

LOC= Line Output Converter
You run speaker wire into one end of it and then it converts it into an RCA signal
Something with a line driver in it to boost the signal
The problem is that most amps require 2-8 volts from the RCA signal to run properly
A lower quality HU will put out 2 volts
Higher quality will put out 4-5 volts
Best quality 8 volts but hard to find.
The signal from your speaker wire is less than 1 volt.
Cheap LOC's don't boost the power at all.
Good ones or DSP's will boost it up to 8 volts or even higher sometimes
Something like this should do what you need (remember those prices are Canadian)
https://www.visions.ca/product-deta..._level_rca_converter?categoryId=67&sku=SSHLC4
As for the coaxial speakers.
That was just my preference, there are lots of people that don't have a problem with them and if you don't want to start modifying your truck then they may be your best bet
Thank you for taking the time to make suggestions to me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.